• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rediscovering Tradtional Food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rediscovering Tradtional Food

The national cuisine of these islands has been something of a laughing stock throughout my lifetime. A reputation that I believe is wholly undeserved as a hisory of fine cuisine is evidenced, for instance, whenever I flick through the recipe books that I inherited from my granny and I'm presented with a collection of the most sumptuous gastonomic delights imaginable.

Perhaps it was only enjoyed by the moneyed classes or maybe WWII put the kibosh on any pretensions we had as being a nation of fine diners?

I certainly remember (as will anyone over the age of 40) that the school dinner menu (I use the word loosely as it implies choice - this was before the current cafeteria system. There was no choice. You had to eat what you were given) certainly still had a "post war austerity" feel to it with plenty of offal, root vegetables and suet puddings. All things that I've had a strong aversion to for the whole of my adult life thanks to the bad culinary standards and the poor quality of the ingredients associated with school dinners.

In fairness though, cooking en-masse is never going to produce a great end result and I'm often surprised when I pluck up the courage to try something in a restaurant that would have made me retch at school and I actually find it quite agreeable. Swede, amazingly, was one of these foodstuffs that I enjoyed in a restaurant in Edinbugh recently; it was nicely seasoned and mashed with butter - completely different to the vile lumpy stuff that they would serve with ice cream scoops. Similarly, kidneys; had them for breakfast not long ago. Again, a pleasant experience and I didn't have to be force fed this time.

One thing that may be a bridge too far for me is suet; just the smell of the roly-poly pudding emanating from the canteen used to make me feel sick. It's ok in Christmas pudding because you can't taste it but dumplings, or anything with a suet crust pastry have been off limits...

...until now because I want to try a Sussex Pond pudding. Basically it's a whole lemon in a ball of butter and sugar encased in a suet pastry - and when you cut into it, the most amazing looking yellow goo comes oozing out. Mmmmmmm.....shame about the suet though.

Any of you have any favourite traditional foods that may be considered a bit retro these days?

Shepherds pie is my favourite but I´ve seen it around a fair bit each time I´ve been to Britain so it can't be all that retro.

For pud, pineapple upside down cake; haven´t seen that for a while unfortunately.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Shepherds pie is my favourite but I´ve seen it around a fair bit each time I´ve been to Britain so it can't be all that retro.

For pud, pineapple upside down cake; haven´t seen that for a while unfortunately.
      Lamb. Another thing I struggle with (except lamb shanks). I do like cottage pie, though. And I love pineapple upside down cake. With custard, of course.

Comment

Tripe

Comment

A good corn beef hash is a treat.

Bubble and squeak using Xmas dinner left overs.

I think restaurants have recognised how these nostalgic foods appeal to the market and more is available than before.

Hopefully though we will never return to the days of Angel Delight!

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
            A good corn beef hash is a treat.

Bubble and squeak using Xmas dinner left overs.

I think restaurants have recognised how these nostalgic foods appeal to the market and more is available than before.

Hopefully though we will never return to the days of Angel Delight!
            We still have that in NL under the name 'Saroma'; I like it on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              We still have that in NL under the name 'Saroma'; I like it on occasion.
              Butterscotch!

NL food is 'interesting' I used to work in Amsterdam a few days a week and the staff canteen had deep fried breadcrumbed 'surprise' everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                Lamb. Another thing I struggle with (except lamb shanks). I do like cottage pie, though. And I love pineapple upside down cake. With custard, of course.
                Shepherds pie and cottage pie are best of all if made with leftover roast lamb or beef, minced or even just chopped up before making the sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                  Perhaps it was only enjoyed by the moneyed classes or maybe WWII put the kibosh on any pretensions we had as being a nation of fine diners?
                  WWI and WWII, extended rationing, lack of refrigeration and the fact that we're an island nation.
                  The post war cooking "celebs" weren't much help as they eschewed everything British in favour of Italian and French dishes.

good british food was lost to an entire generation and it's only recently that we're getting it back
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                    Butterscotch!

NL food is 'interesting' I used to work in Amsterdam a few days a week and the staff canteen had deep fried breadcrumbed 'surprise' everyday
                    NL food is generally crap actually; no need to be tactful about it for me!

Comment

Working...
                    X