• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad experiences with Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad experiences with Accountants

Hello,

As there is a sticky regarding recommendations for accountants I thought I'd start a threat for bad experiences.

This is my first thread and I'm writing it to get some stuff off of my chest as I'm so, so frustrated and upset with my continued experience with SJD accountancy...

In order to comply with forum rules regarding libel ect, this is my experience and I'm not saying they are bad as a whole company just my experience. Some people may have had a great 5* experience but my experience has been awful.

Let me start... I was recommended SJD and everything was great for set up ect. Then...

1) They messed up my P11 return putting wrong figures in.
    2) I spotted they had put me in the wrong VAT band, only after I had been been scheduled to pay £100's of excess VAT.
    3) I had 3 incompetent* accountants in only 1 year (2 left and I'm on my 3rd one). *I say incompetent as they have all made major accounting mistakes.
    4) I was left waiting for a reply to an email for 2 weeks and only after I called did the person state that they had left.
    5) They "forgot" to send off my self assessment and now I am pretty much going to get fined by HMRC. What is worse is that I followed up to confirm that they had sent it and they hadn't!!!
    6) The accountant's unqualified admin performed a lot of the accountancy including the VAT mistake.
    7) The self assessment had the wrong address on it (not mine!)
    8) The P45 I requested from them had the wrong address on it! (again!)
    9) The self assessment had wrong dividend figures on it!

And this is only a year with them. And it's not like they are cheap my services are £132 a month!

My recommendation is go somewhere else.

All the best,

L

You said it. Move.

I have left 3 of the main firms. They start of well and then go downhill. If you aren't happy, there's no point whining. Just move.

Comment

Get in touch with the boss and get it solved?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...untants-3.html
      Last edited by morf; 17 January 2014, 19:13.

Comment

If they acknowledged receipt of your Self Assessment ( a corrected one, as I note one of your points was that they had wrong figures entered), then I suggest you tell them you expect them to pay any fines / penalties.

HMRC don't count your accountant lettering you down as a "reasonable excuse".

Once you have all you need corrected from them then, as other have said, move on.

Appalling service - I would have bailed at the first hurdle though if not sorted by return. I would not have given them so much leeway.
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Working...
        X