• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council Tax Liability Award Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Tax Liability Award Notice

This is a bit of a long one, but wondered if any of you have had anything similar.

Last year I rented a flat for work. I got a demand for council tax which I thought I'd paid - their online system is a bit rubbish and needed a second confirmation to process the payment. Fast forward a few weeks and I got a summons. I called the council and paid the outstanding amount including the costs. Annoying, but I should have checked when I made the payment. I was told that the matter was closed. I notified them on 15th Nov that I was moving out and settled up the account and gave them my home address.

Tonight I have got home and opened the mail that the landlord forwarded me. On the 3rd Dec I was sent a Council Tax Liability Award Notice saying that I had 14 days to pay the outstanding amount. I'm fuming! So they cock up their accounts - I have the transaction listed on my statement to prove I made the payment back in July. I was told that the summons was stopped when the payment was made but obviously they didn't bother to stop it as it did go before the courts. I settled up all outstanding amounts and closed my account weeks before this letter was sent. Then they send this letter to the flat I rented weeks after I'd left although the account was closed with a forwarding address on file.

I've checked and so far there is no showing on my credit record
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Have you marshalled your paperwork and called them to ask what the f*** they are playing at?
    If the council won't talk to you then call the courts (with details of letters sent, dates, times etc,)
    This will get sorted.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Have you marshalled your paperwork and called them to ask what the f*** they are playing at?
      If the council won't talk to you then call the courts (with details of letters sent, dates, times etc,)
      This will get sorted.
      Not yet - only found out at 5pm
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
      X