• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody HMRC

Had a rather shocking letter from HMRC explaining that I owe them several thousand pounds - not at all what I expected, or needed. Anyway, phoned them up, and the best the woman can come up with is that they decided to send the letter BEFORE looking at my Self Assessment Tax Return and instead decided to, presumably, simply make it up.

She's going to flag it, but I now have to wait 3 weeks to find out if she's right (And I therefore owe the grand sum of 30 pence) or they'll send me a letter with an actual explanation. This is now the 3rd year in a row that they've done something wrong and had to fix it.

Could a company get away with their level of incompetence?

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Had a rather shocking letter from HMRC explaining that I owe them several thousand pounds - not at all what I expected, or needed. Anyway, phoned them up, and the best the woman can come up with is that they decided to send the letter BEFORE looking at my Self Assessment Tax Return and instead decided to, presumably, simply make it up.

She's going to flag it, but I now have to wait 3 weeks to find out if she's right (And I therefore owe the grand sum of 30 pence) or they'll send me a letter with an actual explanation. This is now the 3rd year in a row that they've done something wrong and had to fix it.

Could a company get away with their level of incompetence?
    Send them a cheque for £1.30. Demand a refund and keep claiming the cheque never arrived.

Comment

Working...
    X