• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best development ultrabook?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best development ultrabook?

I might be 'investing' in a powerful ultrabook in the coming months and would like to hear your suggestions.
    Minimum specs:
    • i7 (preferably quad)
    • VERY long battery life
    • 16GB or more RAM (or the possibility to upgrade)
    • SSD, 256 GB minimum
    • Able to run MS SQL, VS and a few virtual machines comfortably

Other considerations; I own a licence for Windows 8 Pro so not paying the 'Pro premium' would be advantageous.

Has anyone here been in my situation recently, what ultrabooks to consider?

I got a Samsung series 9 i7 last December which cost 1100. Slightly lower spec than you mention as it is last years model 128 gig ssd and 8 gig ram but I would thoroughly recommend this years equivalent. Excellent build quality.

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post
      I might be 'investing' in a powerful ultrabook in the coming months and would like to hear your suggestions.
      Minimum specs:
      • i7 (preferably quad)
      • VERY long battery life
      • 16GB or more RAM (or the possibility to upgrade)
      • SSD, 256 GB minimum
      • Able to run MS SQL, VS and a few virtual machines comfortably

Other considerations; I own a licence for Windows 8 Pro so not paying the 'Pro premium' would be advantageous.

Has anyone here been in my situation recently, what ultrabooks to consider?
      Mac book pro
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-ME294B.../dp/B00G4BGTCW

Well specced, 10 hour battery life and you can use your windows licence
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'm getting really excited about the Sony Vaio Pro 13.
        It's only dual core and 8GB max but extremely sleek.

Unfortunately the Lenovo salesman at Tottenham Court Road couldn't show me his X1 Carbon unless I'd promise to buy it. Such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post
          I'm getting really excited about the Sony Vaio Pro 13.
          It's only dual core and 8GB max but extremely sleek.

Unfortunately the Lenovo salesman at Tottenham Court Road couldn't show me his X1 Carbon unless I'd promise to buy it. Such a shame.
          I'm more excited about the Maserati Quattroporte I looked at at weekend, oooooh....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I'm more excited about the Maserati Quattroporte I looked at at weekend, oooooh....
            Quattroporte is on my seven year plan hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Mac book pro
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-ME294B.../dp/B00G4BGTCW

Well specced, 10 hour battery life and you can use your windows licence
              Not an ultrabook is it? You'd have to go for the Air? Or is the new MBP able to claim UB status?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                You know that just means "four door"?

If I was looking for a development laptop I'd want to be using it with external keyboard, monitor and mouse, so the actual laptop doesn't matter a great deal other than having a fast processor, plenty of RAM, SSD etc. If you're looking for one to pose with on the train, then I think there's something to be said for a big hulking beast of a laptop so you can say "I'm a serious user, not a hair-gelled nancy boy marketing manager with a Mac".
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Not an ultrabook is it? You'd have to go for the Air? Or is the new MBP able to claim UB status?
                  When I looked I couldn't find an ultrabook with 16gb of ram...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    You know that just means "four door"?

If I was looking for a development laptop I'd want to be using it with external keyboard, monitor and mouse, so the actual laptop doesn't matter a great deal other than having a fast processor, plenty of RAM, SSD etc. If you're looking for one to pose with on the train, then I think there's something to be said for a big hulking beast of a laptop so you can say "I'm a serious user, not a hair-gelled nancy boy marketing manager with a Mac".

Every non .Net developer I've worked with over the last few years have used a Macbook Pro as their own dev machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X