• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reclaiming Employer's National Insurance Contributions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reclaiming Employer's National Insurance Contributions

Hello all,

for the first two weeks of the tax year 2013-2014 I worked as a contractor using an umbrella company. Immediately afterwards I left the country and have only just returned. My earnings were below the tax-free allowance and as I do not intend to work again until the new tax year I'll be using form P-60 to reclaim all my tax.

My earnings were also below the annual Low Earnings Limit (LEL) for employers national insurance contribution, however it seems my umbrella company deducted a 13.8% contribution under "Additional contributions" as I exceeded the weekly LEL.

Is it possible to reclaim the employers NI contribution or have I misunderstood the rules? If it's possible to reclaim, would I approach my umbrella or HMRC?

Thanks for any advice.

Ni doesnt work on a cumilative basis, save for directors. I do not believe they are reclaimable.

Comment

WASBS Employer's national insurance contributions are the responsibility of the umbrella company, as the employer, and they are not cumulative, unlike income tax, so they would not be able to reclaim any payments made
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
      X