• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rip Off Margins / Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip Off Margins / Rates

If the clientco if offering £500 a day, and the agency normally takes £100 a day, thats £400 for the contractor.

If the agency manages to convince another contractor to accept £350, they take £150 a day.
    That may be regarded as a rip-off margin.

If a contractor if making £350 a day, thats his agreed rate.
    If he is offered £500 a day, for essentially the same job, is he ripping off the new client, since he is doing the same work for £150 more than last client.

Is there such a thing as rip-off rates?
    Would you accept the higher rate, or as benevolent and ethical contractors, offer to work for your "normal", lower, rate?

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    If the clientco if offering £500 a day, and the agency normally takes £100 a day, thats £400 for the contractor.

If the agency manages to convince another contractor to accept £350, they take £150 a day.
    That may be regarded as a rip-off margin.

If a contractor if making £350 a day, thats his agreed rate.
    If he is offered £500 a day, for essentially the same job, is he ripping off the new client, since he is doing the same work for £150 more than last client.

Would you accept the higher rate, or as benevolent and ethical contractors, offer to work for your "normal", lower, rate?
    Whose offering the new rate?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, but only from client's point of view.

Comment

Looking at it this way, you're will to give up £2500 a month because you don't do your own marketing.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

When I was finishing my contract in Germany I learned the agency was charging double my rate. Considering they screwed me down on 4€ per hour at the start with the threat it might be a deal breaker, and I was so desperate for work, also how they made me wait 60 days for my first invoice to be paid I think this was evil.

I was paying all my flights and accomodation and hanging on by a thread while they were making €550 per day from me and laughing all the way to the bank.

Yes I was naive, yes I learned a lot, yes I am bitter.

Their slogan was "Putting an IT worker in their place every 48 seconds".

I hope they all die in a fire.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I think this was evil.
            Next time check agency's motto in advance and don't take on those that have it as "Be Evil".

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Next time check agency's motto in advance and don't take on those that have it as "Be Evil".
              But all agents have that etched into their hooves though

Comment

When I was finishing my contract in Germany I learned the agency was charging double my rate. Considering they screwed me down on 4€ per hour at the start with the threat it might be a deal breaker, and I was so desperate for work, also how they made me wait 60 days for my first invoice to be paid I think this was evil.
                Never show weakness in negotiating.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Never show weakness in negotiating.
                  Again, I learned a lot. Even if I'd been balls out confident I would never have even dreamed an agent would or could make 100% markup.

Comment

Again, I learned a lot. Even if I'd been balls out confident I would never have even dreamed an agent would or could make 100% markup.
                    Have you never worked for a consultancy and seen their markup rates.....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X