• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting Via Car to Heathrow from East London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting Via Car to Heathrow from East London

I have been offered a fantastic long term contract near Heathrow airport.

I live in Chingford, East London and wanted to know what might be the best routes of commuting to around the Heathrow/Cranford area?

I would be starting work at 9am so realistically looking to leave home around 7-7:30 each day.

Google maps seems to think the A503 is the quickest commute - 1hr20mins
    A406 - 1hr30mins inc heavy traffic

Most people I have spoken to said to avoid the A406 between 7-9:30 as traffic will be absolutely chuck a block. ..

Any experiences/ suggestions pls?

Looking out of my parents' window at 08.13 traffic moving well on the A406 at Hangar Lane. Main bottleneck is Ealing Common though, have you considered M25?

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
      Looking out of my parents' window at 08.13 traffic moving well on the A406 at Hangar Lane. Main bottleneck is Ealing Common though, have you considered M25?
      Or tube??

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
        Isn't it about time you moved out and got yourself your own place and a girlfriend? Take your cats with you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Isn't it about time you moved out and got yourself your own place and a girlfriend? Take your cats with you.
          My father is dying.

Comment

Originally posted by mobad View Post

I live in Chingford, East London and wanted to know what might be the best routes of commuting to around the Heathrow/Cranford area?

I would be starting work at 9am so realistically looking to leave home around 7-7:30 each day.

Most people I have spoken to said to avoid the A406 between 7-9:30 as traffic will be absolutely chuck a block. ..

I used to commute Brentwood to Stockley Park every day. I strongly recommend arranging to arrive at 10 and leave later. (Arriving early and leaving early means that people who arrive later think your skiving off).
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Yours, I think?

Comment

I will be able to start between 7-10 as flexible working is something the company promotes but I would prefer to start around 9, if possible.

I am not an early riser, so waking up at 5:30 to get out by 6:30 may prove difficult.

M25 is double the distance (40+ miles one way).

Unfortunately no train station near by and woukd work out longer if I would use the train then bus (1hr40mins)....

Comment

Originally posted by mobad View Post

Don't. Ignore what the mapping apps say, that journey will be a nightmare by car in peak hours. I did it years ago (Ilford to West Drayton) and it was leaving at 6:30 to arrive at 09:00 and that wasn't reliable. If you really must drive the do it earlier rather than later.

If there are no Tubes or Trains in easy walking distance at either end then get yourself a folding bike or take the bus to the station. In the long term is will work out much easier.
                  Last edited by DaveB; 20 January 2014, 11:07.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Just call the agency and tell them to cancel the contract because you're a lazy fecker and can't be arsed getting up.

Comment

Working...
                    X