• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mega trucks are coming to get you!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mega trucks are coming to get you!

'Mega trucks' could enter Britain under EU plans

'Mega trucks' could enter Britain under EU plans - Telegraph

Originally posted by AtW View Post

'Mega trucks' could enter Britain under EU plans

'Mega trucks' could enter Britain under EU plans - Telegraph

Talk about shoddy writing. Looks like the Telegraph are going for the Daily Mails audience now.

Draft legislation being considered by the European Parliament would permit lorries longer than two double decker buses, and weighing up to 60 tonnes in length, to cross international borders for the first time.
    60 Tonnes in Length eh? Sounds big...

which consist of a juggernaut and a connected trailer,
    So "a large, heavy vehicle, especially an articulated lorry." towing a trailer. So an articulated lorry, towing a trailer (two trailers, one tow vehicle). Which is illegal in the UK. And not a bigger articulated lorry, which is what is proposed.

Under the draft laws, Britain would have the right to deny access to the vehicles,
    So it's not actually the EU telling us to use them, the Government can still make up it's own mind. But never mind, lets blame the EU anyway.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Those things are going to make ace sat-nav fail stories. 'Poor Pietr didn't realise the centre of York was unsuitable for his road train.....'

Comment

I enjoy MegaTruckers on Dave. Not quite as good as Man v Food, but still.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I enjoy MegaTruckers on Dave. Not quite as good as Man v Food, but still.
          Not seen MT although I used to like Ice Road Truckers before they ran out of ways to show a lorry on a frozen lake and started making up convoluted scenarios.

I worked at a company who built an abnormal loads system, for people driving trucks like this:

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Under the draft laws, Britain would have the right to deny access to the vehicles,
            It also says in the same sentence:

but it would come under significant pressure from hauliers if the vehicles became accepted elsewhere in Europe.
            Prize for best selective quote of the week.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Wow. I could have been a trucker in another life.

Which reminds me. What's happened to Ice Road Truckers this year?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                60 Tonnes in Length eh? Sounds big...
                You idiot, they meant metric tonnes!!!

Comment

Longer boats are coming to get us
                  coming to get us

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...