• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old Comedy Shows etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Comedy Shows etc

On Sunday, as we reposed ourselves in front of a roaring log fire, Mr Gittins finally follow through on a threat that has been hanging over me for some time now; to subject me to his Laurel and Hardy box set.

Actually, the word "threat" implies the possibility of being subjected to some kind of ordeal. I'm fairly ambivalent about L&H - used to see them quite a bit on TV when I was a kid just like all those other black and white comedies they used to show back then - Harold Lloyd, Abbott and Costello, The Marx Brothers - so I had an open mind when he pulled out a copy of "Block Heads" from its plastic case.

And do you know something? One hour later I was a convert. There was so much going on in that film - the comic timing, the supporting cast (James Finlayson in particular as the ultimate foil), the snobberies and all the human traits that I would not have appreciated as a child.

There are actually some very surreal moments in it. Three in particular stand out.

The bit where Stan and Ollie are ascending the stairs in the apartment block. On reaching each landing, Stan goes over to the shadow of the window casement made by the sun on the wall, yanks the reflected shadow of a pull cord to bring down a silhouette of the blind, thus "closing" it. On the final landing we are treated to Ollie attempting the same feat but, finding his target as intangible as anyone else would, he flounders. He finally manages it only for the blind to promptly snap back open again.

Another scene has the doors of a crowded lift opening and a baritone voice issuing from within declaring "Let me out please" and the source of the voice is revealed to be a five year old boy in top hat and tails puffing on a very impressive looking cheroot. I'm sure that scene would be cut these days should the film be shown on TV again what with all the anti smoking hysteria....

The other surreal moment is probably one of the best known L&H scenes - the one where Stan smokes that pipe with his clenched fingers serving as the bowl of the pipe and his extended thumb acting as the stem. He nonchalantly fills the bowl with tobacco and lights it up while Olly looks on completely bemused - the look he shoots to camera is absolutely priceless.

I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing a few more next weekend.

Anyone else like L&H or anything in that vein?

Bilko - class!

Laurel and Hardy is pure shiite though....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Bilko - class!

Laurel and Hardy is pure shiite though....
      Too many words in the OP. Thank you Mr Stek for the succinct summary
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I agree about Bilko. From what I remember at any rate. I seem to recall that any episode of Bilko that I watched would have been viewed through a pair of very bleary eyes. It was always on really late.

Comment

I forgot to mention that Harold Lloyd, apparently, performed all his own stunts. ISTR one in which he is dangling from the second hand of a clock on the front of some NY skyscraper.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
            I forgot to mention that Harold Lloyd, apparently, performed all his own stunts. ISTR one in which he is dangling from the second hand of a clock on the front of some NY skyscraper.
            He did. You wouldn't catch the pampered stars of today putting their necks on the line like that.

I think those old black and white comedy films are very much underrated, probably because they were too subtle, weren't in colour, and the perception that modern is always better. The lack of up-to-date stars delivering toilet humour doesn't help either.

Also, how long will it be before no-one knows what a pipe is? I haven't seen anyone smoking one for years.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I'm allergic to Phil Silvers.

Comes from watching interminable episodes of the unfunny Bilko back in the days when there were 2 channels and everything was in black & white.

Including the minstrels.
              Wasn't he a motor-pool officer at Roswell?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Also, how long will it be before no-one knows what a pipe is? I haven't seen anyone smoking one for years.
                It funny isn't it but in this day and age we are supposed to view smoking as the great evil of our time yet I've always found something very homely about the smell of a pipe.

Reminds me of my grand pop I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                  It funny isn't it but in this day and age we are supposed to view smoking as the great evil of our time yet I've always found something very homely about the smell of a pipe.

Reminds me of my grand pop I suppose.
                  Me too. My dad used to smoke one when he was in one of his Bohemian spells.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Me too. My dad used to smoke one when he was in one of his Bohemian spells.
                    Was that Bernard? Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X