• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private education, bursaries and self employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private education, bursaries and self employment

Am looking to apply for a bursary for my kids to get them into private schools. One of the schools already said they would look at the company accounts, when making a decisions. I suspect based on the companies earnings over the past 3 years they will never grant me a (full) bursary.
    Who has experience and any tips how to land at least some bursary/reduction?

Your mistake is in telling them that you are a company director - tell them you work for an IT company with a salary of £xxxx p.a. - remember dividends are not guaranteed.
    If you have 2 kids then negotiate to get reduction on fees, if you have 3 then look for a deal where the third is effectively free
    Try to get whatever deal you get locked in for the duration of all your kids being in school cos as sure as eggs is eggs they will ramp up yearly (sometimes 6 monthly)

key point is that it is a business you are dealing with, don't let emotion get in your way- negotiate hard and buckle up as it's going to be a very, very expensive ride

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Check the actual finances of the school.

Local to us the number of private schools that have either closed (at little notice) or are desperately trying to become a free school is scary. The latter approach isn't too bad if they manage to pull it off (and if Labour comes into power in 2015 they won't) as it would result in free education from September 2015 onwards but I would be very careful over my choice of school...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
      X