• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXII

Fun and games this morning, as a ClientCo script SNAFU accidentally deletes one of my working directories. Luckily I had a backup… at home
    • Inside Monopoly's secret war against the Third Reich - Christian Donlan looks at the various strange methods devised by the strange people of MI9 to assist Allied POWs during WWII, with particular emphasis on the custom Monopoly sets manufactured with maps, money, and tools concealed within: "While other departments swooped on Cambridge dons and sinister hardnuts to run their spy-rings and gather their intel, MI9 was just as likely to employ stage magicians... Any image gallery of its notables would include at least a few men who like to be photographed with an eyebrow inscrutably arched and hands outstretched, fingers splayed, as if casting a fireball."

• Everything We Leave Behind - "20 years ago, if I died unexpectedly, the things I left behind would have been quite different than today. I would have left behind scribbles and scraps and other people’s memories... Now? Piles upon piles of digital trails. Tweet streams and Facebook feeds. Blog posts, Instagram photos, forum conversations and/or arguments. Tracks left behind me, tracing every step. With every tweet or comment, we write what we are going to leave behind us. Because we most assuredly will leave it behind."

• Caution Weird Load: Ken Kesey’s Furthur, the proto-hippie bus, headed for restoration - "It seems as though Furthur hasn’t taken its last trip after all. Though the effort has been beset with fits and starts, the family of author Ken Kesey has long maintained a vision of seeing Kesey’s Furthur – the 1939 International D-50 school bus transformed into a rolling testbed for psychedelic experimentation – on the road again, and with a new foundation dedicated to restoring the bus, that just may happen later this year."

• The Names They Gave Me - What's in a name? Tasbeeh Herwees knows: "Roll call is the worst part of my day. After a long list of Brittanys, Jonathans, Ashleys, and Yen-but-call-me-Jens, the teacher rests on my name in silence. She squints. She has never seen this combination of letters strung together in this order before. They are incomprehensible. What is this h doing at the end? Maybe it is a typo... She said it wrong. She said it so wrong. I have never heard my name said so ugly before, like it’s a burden. Her entire face contorts as she says it, like she is expelling a distasteful thing from her mouth."

• JS: the Right Way - Good collection of links to useful stuff about JavaScript, which will come in handy as Atwood's Law comes ever closer to fruition.

• London In 1927, Recreated Shot For Shot - "You might remember this remarkable short film by Claude Friese-Greene, showing the London of 1927 in colour. Well, someone’s only gone and recreated it, shot for shot, in modern London."

• The New York Times Had a Mistake on Its Front Page Every Day for More Than a Century - "In 1898, somebody added one to 14,499 and got 15,000, and the paper's issue number remained off by 500 until 2000." Awkward

• RAF Molesworth’s Ground Launched Cruise Missiles – 25 Years On - "Cars and people pass them every day: an empty sentry tower here, a weed-covered “pill-box” there, and a dark tower standing watch over abandoned bunkers." Cool exploration of what remains of the base.

• How to keep your husband out of the pub...and other tips from a forgotten heroine - "She's no longer a household name, but Hannah Woolley's books offer a fascinating, occasionally laugh-out-loud insight into the lives of 17th-century women." Those of you who have husbands will be able to tell us how much, or little, has changed in the last couple of centuries

• Minimiam: Tiny People’s Adventures In The World of Food - I'd seen the grape one, but it turns out photographers Akiko Ida and Pierre Javelle have loads more of these clever photos with food and miniature figures:

Happy invoicing!

Glad to see no stories similar to last weeks kids left in the car thing. Upset me for days that did.

Look forward to seeing this post every week though.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Glad to see no stories similar to last weeks kids left in the car thing. Upset me for days that did.

Look forward to seeing this post every week though.
      thought the exact same!

Comment

London In 1927, Recreated Shot For Shot

Stunning.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just sat down with a brew and read the Monopoly WW2 story, great stuff.

Good darts Nick.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I must have missed the point with the name thing judging by the comments under it saying how wonderful, beautiful and inspiring it was.

Non-Arabic speaking people don't do a pitch-perfect pronounciation of an Arabic name. Well, they wouldn't, would they? I have a quite typically Anglosphere name (forename and surname) and non-English speakers don't quite get the pronunciation spot on. They wouldn't, they're not native English speakers. Equally, I'm sure my pronunciation of the German, Italian, French and Indian names surrounding me isn't quite right. None of us feel the need to award ourselves bright and shiny new Victim Medals because of it.

Hell's teeth, when I worked with a lot of Chinese they gave themselves western sounding names to help us out.

As for shortening or Anglicising a name, that happens in reverse with mine too and being called Tess is hardly grounds for a compo claim. Granted, being called Bin Laden was a bit rude but she wants to try walkking round my home town, she'll be called a lot worse by her co-religionists there.

I don't know which is worse, the blatent whoring for victim points by the writer or all the bleeding hearts agreeing with her in the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
              Non-Arabic speaking people don't do a pitch-perfect pronounciation of an Arabic name. Well, they wouldn't, would they?
              The various pronunciations she mentions: "Tashbah." "Tess." "T." "Bin Laden." Nothing at all.

They weren't even trying. They tutted and rolled their eyes, as if having to put up with somebody whose name was hard for them to pronounce was an intolerable burden.

**** them, I say.

Comment

To be fair to the whiny little twunt who wrote the article, she doesn't says no-one ever really tried. It was the teacher whose name she, somewhat ironically, can't remember who says "probably because they didn’t want to try". He'd know this on account of being not only psychic but probably also keen to butter her up with a view to getting in her pants. He's spotted the emotionally delicate one in the class and has gone into grooming mode.

Most of the others go for for Tazbee and, apart from the typical English language thing of making an S sound like a Z, that doesn't seem too far off. A lot depends on what the H at the end sounds like but a sounded H at the end of the word doesn't really exist in English.

FFS, she needs to get over herself. I don't who is the bigger waste of space there - her or all the mutual masturbators who claim to be moved to tears over her story. No-one fricking died.

PS - London 1927 was great. Made up for the emo drivel.
                Last edited by GreyWolf; 21 January 2014, 13:24.

Comment

Thanks Nick !

Like other, I think the "name" one was a bit overegged, but I loved the Minimiam pics
                  If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Cool exploration of what remains of the base.
                    Not quite. The journo didn't notice that there's still a lot of people work there

Comment

Working...
                    X