• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nooby... accommodation claiming back...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nooby... accommodation claiming back...

Ok, Im new to this 'contracting' thing. So I set up a company, avoid IR35, but I need to rent a flat or house near where I will be working for 6 months.
    As I dont have a UK address, I dont want this address to be seen as a 'main' residency. Is it worth renting a room from a mate in another part of the country,
    at least nominally, print off a lease etc. so I can claim tax on the 'real' address ?

Comment

Originally posted by Spudman View Post
      Ok, Im new to this 'contracting' thing. So I set up a company, avoid IR35, but I need to rent a flat or house near where I will be working for 6 months.
      As I dont have a UK address, I dont want this address to be seen as a 'main' residency. Is it worth renting a room from a mate in another part of the country,
      at least nominally, print off a lease etc. so I can claim tax on the 'real' address ?
      That's called fraud so I doubt anyone on here will help you. As we have discussed numerous times in the past only expenses wholly related to work are claimable against tax. I.e. the hotel you stay in Monday-Friday or the room you use Monday-Friday. Anything you use over the weekend is not wholly related to work and hence not tax deductible...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Bored banned sockie master?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the only way that you think you can make a claim for accommodation is to engineer an artificial situation for the benefit of HMRC, then you should not be making a claim.

Hope this helps!
          Craig

Comment

Great idea

Originally posted by Spudman View Post
            Mate as in sexual partner or friend.? If sexual partner it will have at least some benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
              Mate as in sexual partner or friend.? If sexual partner it will have at least some benefits.
              And if you are both of the same gender, at least you'll get used to it before your prison stretch.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
              X