• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cosmic 'web' seen for first time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the neurones and pathways of the brain. But no scale is rather different. This just blows my mind.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Anne Uumellmahaye? Is that you?

Comment

+1 - always been fascinated by whats up there.

My biggest pondering point is that there are more stars in our galaxy than grains of sand (and there are 600 million known galaxies out there).

Totally mind blowing !!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        +1 - always been fascinated by whats up there.

My biggest pondering point is that there are more stars in our galaxy than grains of sand (and there are 600 million known galaxies out there).

Totally mind blowing !!
        <Pedant>
        Presumably you need to qualify that statement somewhat?

More stars in our galaxy than grains of sand....
        .... on a beach
        .... in the sahara
        .... in the earths oceans
        .... in the earths deserts
        .... on the earth

Because of all the stars in our galaxy many of them will have planets, and many of them will have sand (however you define sand).
        So no matter how many stars there are - the grains of sand to star ratio must still favour sand. (I know there will be countless stars without sandy planets, but as each sandy planet has millions/billions of grains of sand)
        </Pedant>

But the numbers are as you say are mind blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
          <Pedant>
          Presumably you need to qualify that statement somewhat?

Because of all the stars in our galaxy many of them will have planets, and many of them will have sand (however you define More stars in our galaxy than grains of sand....
          .... on a beach
          .... in the sahara
          .... in the earths oceans
          .... in the earths deserts
          .... on the earth
          sand).
          So no matter how many stars there are - the grains of sand to star ratio must still favour sand. (I know there will be countless stars without sandy planets, but as each sandy planet has millions/billions of grains of sand)
          </Pedant>

But the numbers are as you say are mind blowing.

....on the earth

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            ....on the earth
            That's what you, me and everyone else with the capability of thought understood that to mean.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Still I cannot comprehend that light takes 10 million years to travel the distance between those two yellow lines.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                That's what you, me and everyone else with the capability of I thought understood that to mean. but I am thick as tulip and can't really process bigger thoughts than "food" and "shag" so that's not saying much
                FTFY

I assume Kaiser realised that his original statement was unclear, as he clarified it.
                In any case Kaiser and I were in agreement in that the numbers involved are mind blowing.
                As you can only count to 20 if you take your shoes off, a mind blowing number to you would be letters in the alphabet!

HTH dickwad!

Comment

"There are more stars than there are grains of sand" is a much more interesting postulation though. Unlikely to be true though.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    "There are more stars than there are grains of sand" is a much more interesting postulation though. Unlikely to be true though.
                    There are 200-300 billion stars in our galaxy and thought to be 500 billion galaxies in the universe.

And there are thought to be 8 billion billions grains of sand on our planet (that's planet Earth to most on here ).

Calculator anyone ?

Such an interesting area

Comment

Working...
                    X