• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dutch railways

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch railways

How does paying for a train ticket work in NL these days?

Used to be (apart from Schiphol and Amsterdam Centraal) a choice of only 2:

1. pay with your Dutch bank card.
    Oh dear, you're not Dutch?
    2. Go get cash out of a cash machine at rip-off charges; queue at counter because machines don't take notes; pay an extra fee for paying in cash.

Any progress for non-Dutch people on Dutch railways yet?

Yes, you can only pay with I-Deal. It's a sort of ethnic control on foreigners.

The good news is that I've stopped buying train tickets because I've never found a ticket controller on board, but I'm in the South.

Anyway you don't need to be Dutch to have a Dutch bank account.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      How does paying for a train ticket work in NL these days?

Used to be (apart from Schiphol and Amsterdam Centraal) a choice of only 2:

1. pay with your Dutch bank card.
      Oh dear, you're not Dutch?
      2. Go get cash out of a cash machine at rip-off charges; queue at counter because machines don't take notes; pay an extra fee for paying in cash.

Any progress for non-Dutch people on Dutch railways yet?
      They didn't really think about this when they set up the OV Card thingummy. That's normal; the NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) don't seem to be very good at 'thinking'.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Nederlandse Spoorwegen
        Dutch Poor Waggon? Is that really what they call their railways?

A commendable lack of turd polishing if that's the case. I wish Northern Rail would adopt a similar approach.

Comment

Working...
        X