• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farageing for attention - mumsnet special

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farageing for attention - mumsnet special

Ukip leader says women working in City can do as well, if not better, than men if they don't take time off after childbirth

"Women who take time off work to have children are "worth less" to City employers than men, Nigel Farage has claimed.

In a speech on Europe, he argued there is no longer discrimination against women in financial institutions and suggested gender imbalances are caused by female employees making "different choices" for "biological reasons".

The UK Independence party leader claimed women are able to do as well - if not better – than men but only if they are prepared to sacrifice family life.

"In many, many cases, women make different choices in life to the ones that men make simply for biological reasons," he said.

"If a woman has a client base and has a child and takes two or three years off work, she is worth far less to the employer when she comes back than when she goes away because her client base cannot be stuck rigidly to her.

"I don't believe that in the big banks and brokerage houses and Lloyds of London and everyone else in the City, I do not believe there is any discrimination against women at all."

Source: Nigel Farage: women must sacrifice family life to succeed in finance | Politics | theguardian.com

And they complained that elections in USSR did not have alternative candidates
    Last edited by AtW; 20 January 2014, 20:20.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "Women who take time off work to have children are "worth less" to City employers than men, Nigel Farage has claimed.
    Isn't that just common sense? It's not because they're a woman, a man who planned to take several months off 2-4 times in a decade would be equally less valuable than one who was committed to their work above other things?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Isn't that just common sense?
      Is it?

I'd argue that employees with children will likely to be taking a lot less risks than otherwise. Maybe it should be new common sense rule for banking - "no children - no job".

Comment

The head of coca-cola said it a few years ago. But being a woman she got away with it.

Less sexism - lynch the bint!

Comment

Surely what he is saying is a statement of fact, not opinion.
          A woman coming back to work after years off work will have lost many of their clients and will not bring in as much business as one who has retained them.

Comment

The reason the banks have no regard for risk aversion is because of the whole TBTF doctrine. Don't see an issue with anything Farage is saying.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Is it?

I'd argue that employees with children will likely to be taking a lot less risks than otherwise. Maybe it should be new common sense rule for banking - "no children - no job".
              My argument still stands, hire fathers instead of mothers
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not sure why stating the obvious makes the news

Comment

Obnoxious sexist git. What about if a man takes that amount of time off of work, will he be also worth less to his employers? Does he know anything about maternity leave in that it only lasts for 52 weeks? What about when, or if, the new laws regarding shared parental leave come in? I also think that if a woman is in a higher position in a financial institution then she'll be able to not only wangle WFH for periods but also to pay for a nanny for when she has to go into the office.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Obnoxious sexist git. What about if a man takes that amount of time off of work, will he be also worth less to his employers? Does he know anything about maternity leave in that it only lasts for 52 weeks? What about when, or if, the new laws regarding shared parental leave come in? I also think that if a woman is in a higher position in a financial institution then she'll be able to not only wangle WFH for periods but also to pay for a nanny for when she has to go into the office.
                    Hey darmie, whereya bin?
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X