• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour's smoking ban killed the British pub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour's smoking ban killed the British pub

Inneresting article by Peter Oborne in the Telegraph.

I don't smoke myself but I don't see why smoking couldn't be allowed to continue in separate well ventilated rooms. Ostensibly the ban was to safeguard people who work in pubs, so they claimed. Kind of back fired a bit really considering how many have lost their jobs through pub closures.

Surely there must be a middle ground somewhere but of course there will be no compromise whenever the interfering tentacles of the nanny state are involved. Besides, a recent report by the American Cancer Institute concluded that second hand smoke does not cause cancer. Make of that what you will but there's a good article on that by James Delingpole here.

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Inneresting article by Peter Oborne in the Telegraph.

I don't smoke myself but I don't see why smoking couldn't be allowed to continue in separate well ventilated rooms. Ostensibly the ban was to safeguard people who work in pubs, so they claimed. Kind of back fired a bit really considering how many have lost their jobs through pub closures.

Surely there must be a middle ground somewhere but of course there will be no compromise whenever the interfering tentacles of the nanny state are involved. Besides, a recent report by the American Cancer Institute concluded that second hand smoke does not cause cancer. Make of that what you will but there's a good article on that by James Delingpole here.
    They said they would do it before they got elected. They honoured the pledge.
    so it was probbly an honour killing
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Recently in pub / restaurant in Austria I was reminded what life before the smoking ban was like.

Was like, I could not see more than a few meters and my eyes stung.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Pubs were dying before the ban. Other countries don't allow smoking in pubs and haven't seen their pubs all die.

I see pubs thronged with people smoking, but up north people aren't afraid to go outside to smoke even in the snow and ice
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I could not see more than a few meters and my eyes stung.
          I always came out of a pub or club with my clothes stinking like an ash tray.

Comment

People should be allowed to do what the like - as long as it does not affect others. Pubs are public places.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              It saved the great unwashed having to... well... wash, by covering up the smell of their foetid bodies.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Pubs were dying before the ban. Other countries don't allow smoking in pubs and haven't seen their pubs all die.

I see pubs thronged with people smoking, but up north people aren't afraid to go outside to smoke even in the snow and ice
                The rate accelerated somewhat post 2007.

The thing with other countries is that they are slightly more generous regarding "outside" areas where people can continue to light up. In France, those covered areas on the front of bars are ok to smoke in & are generally quite comfortable as they are normally heated. Over here. the law says that to qualify, the structure must not have more than 3 walls (or something) hence you end up freezing your tits off in winter time.

Again, I can understand people saying it's much better now that you can go to a pub and not come out smelling like an ash tray but what would be wrong with the situation whereby you can go for a smoke free drink OR go to a well ventilated smoking area for a fag if you wished?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  Yep. It was always deeply unpleasant. Pubs are much nicer places to go now.

Smokers are an ever decreasing minority now, so why should the majority put up with it?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    so why should the majority put up with it?
                    I'll say it again. If there were separate smoking rooms you wouldn't be affected so there would be nothing to "put up with".

Comment

Working...
                    X