• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to ingratiate yourself with unfriendly development manager & architect

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to ingratiate yourself with unfriendly development manager & architect

Started a new gig. Interviewed and hired by development manager and "architect" (and one of the developers).

First day. Dev manager and "architect" are spectacularly unfriendly to the point of rudeness. I am a seasoned contractor - but not having the decency to say goodnight to the new guy when leaving (particularly when said new guy is sitting beside the door) is rude IMO. And I have been conversational and friendly to everyone throughout the day (even when not reciprocated).

Frankly I smell a little buyers' remorse because I completely aced the interview, played hardball on the rate. And then the first day happens and yes, I am a mere mortal.

Any advice?

PS: can someone explain the difference between a development manager and product manager (or project manager)? Are there any connotations with the title "development manager" (i.e. what development "school of thought" does it come from?). I haven't heard of anyone using the title before.
    Last edited by wonderboy; 20 January 2014, 22:54.

Speak to Suity, he's been on the end of buyers remorse almost every contract
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

'And I have been conversational and friendly to everyone throughout the day'

Thats it. thats your problem right there
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Moaning on CUK won't count as an alibi and they will find the bodies eventually, I'm afraid.

Comment

Tomorrow mornings meeting, walk in, punch the architect, grap your cock, thrust forward and shout 'Hurrah' before snogging the secretary.

Simples.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Tomorrow mornings meeting, walk in, punch the architect, grap your cock, thrust forward and shout 'Hurrah' before snogging the secretary.

Simples.

I forgot to mention that to make matters worse, there is no hot secretary...

Comment

Originally posted by wonderboy View Post
              Started a new gig. Interviewed and hired by development manager and "architect" (and one of the developers).

First day. Dev manager and "architect" are spectacularly unfriendly to the point of rudeness. I am a seasoned contractor - but not having the decency to say goodnight to the new guy when leaving (particularly when said new guy is sitting beside the door) is rude IMO. And I have been conversational and friendly to everyone throughout the day (even when not reciprocated).

Frankly I smell like a sweaty horse, and would have been completely acrid at the interview had I not used an entire roll-on deodorant until the hard ball fell out. And then the first day happens and yes, I stink like an elephants butt.

Any advice?

PS: can someone explain the difference between a development manager and product manager (or project manager)? Are there any connotations with the title "development manager" (i.e. what development "school of thought" does it come from?). I haven't heard of anyone using the title before.
              FTFY

And there lies the problem

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Speak to Suity, he's been on the end of buyers remorse almost every contract
                WHS
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

A development manager is usually a more continuous role than project manager. However, he may be called "El Grappo", but that's irrelevant to what he actually does.

Maybe buy them each a bottle of very good whisky.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just get on with it, behave professionally and ignore the rudeness. It may not be intentional - some people have no interpersonal skills at all. ClientCo manager at current gig speaks to me only when absolutely necessary (typical conversation rate is about 2 sentences a week), and I rarely get a good morning or good night unless I push it in his face, but he signs my timesheets, so no complaints

Comment

Working...
                    X