• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registered Office address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered Office address

I know there have been questions on this before, but I can't get up anything useful with the search function.

I'm moving into a rented house for a few months whilst we try and buy somewhere and the landlord doesn't want my business registered there. I was going to use a PO box, but I'm now thinking that one of the registered office providers who can forward on mail might be a better option.

Has anyone used one of these? companiesmadesimple.com has popped up on the search but if anyone has feedback on them or another one it would be good to hear it.

Thank you!

[ps - using the accountant's address is not an option]
    [pps - I hate moving house, its stressful, we're supposed to move next week and still haven't exchanged contracts yet. ]

Hi and welcome
    You cannot use a post office address for your registered office, it must be an actual physical address capable of accepting service.

Companies made simple and rapid formations are popular choices if you don't want/ can't use your accountant address.

I haven't had experience of either of them, but have not heard anything adverse either.

HTH, good luck with move !
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Places like Regus usually offer an address that you could use for a small fee, although I'm not sure how costs would compare with companiesmadesimple.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
        You cannot use a post office address for your registered office, it must be an actual physical address capable of accepting service.
        Didn't know that. Thanks for the warning - avoided me spending money on something that wouldn't actually be what I needed!

Comment

We have a few clients in a similar situation to yours who use the address of a friend or family member as their registered office address - not sure if this would be a feasible option for you.

Craig

Comment

My rented house has been my registered office for a couple of years now. Has the landlord explicitly stated this, or is it the more usual tenancy clause about operating any kind of business? Because the latter only really applies if you're having customers visit etc., and you're not going to have any issue over the 2 letters a year you're likely to get to your registered office from CoHouse/HMRC.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The problem is that if your business has debts (not that I'm suggesting that yours does) then the registered office is where the creditors or debt collection agencies will likely turn up – landlords will not want that…

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                My rented house has been my registered office for a couple of years now. Has the landlord explicitly stated this, or is it the more usual tenancy clause about operating any kind of business? Because the latter only really applies if you're having customers visit etc., and you're not going to have any issue over the 2 letters a year you're likely to get to your registered office from CoHouse/HMRC.
                It could also invalidate his insurances. The insurance company won't care about the details, they will just won't pay out.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                  The problem is that if your business has debts (not that I'm suggesting that yours does) then the registered office is where the creditors or debt collection agencies will likely turn up – landlords will not want that…
                  Most companies have registered offices that are accountants' offices with a separate trading address, and surely debt collectors understand that. There's little point turning up at an accountant's office.

If I was a debt collector, I'd find out where the director lived and go there.

It could also invalidate his insurances. The insurance company won't care about the details, they will just won't pay out.
                  If you're going to be that paranoid, so could doing any kind of work at home; having any business assets at home; having any business related post delivered to your home (your bank will want a real address for one), or claiming your home address is your permanent place of work for the purpose of claiming expenses. Yet none of us worry about these things.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Regardless of the reason, the landlord has every right to stipulate this. Just use your accountants address if they offer this service or a mailbox service - I used to use one that my partner worked at and it only cost £80 a year.

Comment

Working...
                    X