• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blunkett: Russell Brand and Will Self putting off young voters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blunkett: Russell Brand and Will Self putting off young voters

Russell Brand's dangerous ranting is putting young people off voting. And so is Will Self's description of people who join political parties as Donkeys.

(it's in the Mail. I'm sure you can all find it)

As much as I dislike the leftie claptrap spouted by both of these individuals I think they're right. I'd go further and say that most people are disenfranchised by the 3 main parties except for the people who have non jobs in the client state sector.

As for Blunkett to defend democracy, well really...

Did you know that a regime can be assessed for autocraticness by looking at the amount of legislation passed?
    Well there's this staggeringly inneresting statistic (and I'm going to have to find it so I can provide a link) which says that the New Labour regime of 1997-2010 passed more laws than ALL of the other governments of the 20th century combined. In fact, it could even by all other governments of the previous 150 years.

Says it all really...

Ah Blunkett

This coming from a man who had an affair while in public office - thus contributing to the perception that MPs are all scum AND as such why would we vote for any of them?

The career politician is a terrible idea... more bothered about choosing the right tie than their actual policies!

Have you ever noticed how none of them can make a speech? Ed Miliband is terrible!

Russell Brand for all his high life seems to be onto something. His debates over drug use and policy have actually informed my view, rather than politicians who pander to public opinion Russell actually knows a thing or two with real hand experience.

Can't say I agree with him on everything, (personally love the put down he got on question time about his theory we should all pay more tax - "Well Russell, I'm sure HMRC will gladly accept a donation!") but at least the guy isn't spouting rubbish about topics he hardly understands.

Fair play to him for having an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by newcastle View Post
      but at least the guy isn't spouting rubbish about topics he hardly understands
      Which is why his application to join CUK was declined

Comment

Tell me is there anything more supine on this fair earth than a party conference audience rising to deliver a standing ovation? Carefully orchestrated by party stewards, these so-called activists display a mental passivity that makes the average X Factor audience look like the participants in one of Plato's symposia.
        Dammit. For a minute there I thought I was going to get through a Will Self essay without reaching for the dictionary.

Then came 'fissiparous', any ideas?
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Then came 'fissiparous', any ideas?
          tending to break up into parts : divisive <ie fissiparous tendencies within a political party>
          If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Loved one the comments on the wordy essay.....

I and several of my fellow donkeys object to being compared to politicians and their followers. We have a great public image, are brilliant at raising money for cushy retirement sanctuaries, and not one of us has been caught fiddling our expenses.

So just watch it, Will Self. We know where your carrots are buried.
            If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

If UK politicians can't defend themselves against a couple of comedians you lot must have been electing some right feckwhits while I've been away.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

politicians who pander to public opinion
                Democracy you mean?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Which is why his application to join CUK was declined

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    And so is Will Self's description of people who join political parties as Donkeys.
                    I assume he was only referring to democrats.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X