• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Word - ToC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Word - ToC

I'm putting some business docs together using MS Word, which contain some Visio process diagrams, but when I update the Table of Contents, it pulls the diagrams into the ToC, so I have to then manually delete them. That's fine, but it's a bit of a 'nause' and don't think it should be happening.

I'm sure my spacing between the page header text & diagrams are ok, but any ideas how I can stop them being pulled into the contents page? It also pulls in some of the text from the doc, but the diagram issue is my main problem. Cheers.
    Clarity is everything

Is there a header or heading on the page with the diagrams ?
    If not, insert one using header/heading formatting and then that should be the only thing that appears.
    Check that the place you are putting the Visio diagrams has "normal" or "body text" formatting, and insert the diagrams as enhanced meta file rather than a Visio object

Check the formatting of the text that is appearing in the ToC spuriously to check it is normal or body text also

If still stuck, and you are happy to send it, pm me and I'll try and fix

HTH
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
      Is there a header or heading on the page with the diagrams ?
      If not, insert one using header/heading formatting and then that should be the only thing that appears.
      Check that the place you are putting the Visio diagrams has "normal" or "body text" formatting, and insert the diagrams as enhanced meta file rather than a Visio object

Check the formatting of the text that is appearing in the ToC spuriously to check it is normal or body text also

If still stuck, and you are happy to send it, pm me and I'll try and fix

HTH
      Yes, there is a heading; I've used the 'Heading 1' in Styles from the ribbon. I insert a space after the heading (hit return key) and drop the diagram in there.

I'll give yr suggestion a whirl tomorrow and see what occurs. Thanks for the response.

On yr point about meta files, would this reduce the 'mb-age' size of the whole document too? For example, a full Word doc of some 50 pages is coming up as almost 70mb or something ridiculous which is maybe down to the high number of Visio diagrams, and obviously becomes difficult to upload onto SharePoint, unless I pdf it which shrinks it down majorly.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
        Yes, there is a heading; I've used the 'Heading 1' in Styles from the ribbon. I insert a space after the heading (hit return key) and drop the diagram in there.

I'll give yr suggestion a whirl tomorrow and see what occurs. Thanks for the response.

On yr point about meta files, would this reduce the 'mb-age' size of the whole document too? For example, a full Word doc of some 50 pages is coming up as almost 70mb or something ridiculous which is maybe down to the high number of Visio diagrams, and obviously becomes difficult to upload onto SharePoint, unless I pdf it which shrinks it down majorly.
        Sometimes when you hit rtn after the heading, the next line still thinks it's in heading mode, so whatever comes next appears in the ToC - hence the tip about checking the formatting of the next line.

Re file size - HELL YES
        By loads !

In Visio, select copy and highlight the whole diagram ( rather than hitting copy-drawing) - this keeps size and shape better

In word, select paste special, then choose Picture (Enhanced Metafile).

You can then size as necessary by dragging sides / corners : this is also useful if it is a large diagram better suited to A3, as it remains readable when shrunk.

Only downside, (2 parts), is you have to keep a track ( I do it in properties ) of which Visio diagram and version is in each doc and cross reference them so that if you need to update the diagram for the document you know which one it was - and the secnnd part is you can't edit the diagram within the document, so leave all diagrams as part of a handover so people can update docs without starting again

Hope that helps.
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Sometimes when you hit rtn after the heading, the next line still thinks it's in heading mode, so whatever comes next appears in the ToC - hence the tip about checking the formatting of the next line.

Re file size - HELL YES
          By loads !

In Visio, select copy and highlight the whole diagram ( rather than hitting copy-drawing) - this keeps size and shape better

You can then size as necessary by dragging sides / corners : this is also useful if it is a large diagram better suited to A3, as it remains readable when shrunk.

Only downside, (2 parts), is you have to keep a track ( I do it in properties ) of which Visio diagram and version is in each doc and cross reference them so that if you need to update the diagram for the document you know which one it was - and the secnnd part is you can't edit the diagram within the document, so leave all diagrams as part of a handover so people can update docs without starting again

Hope that helps.
          Superb mate, this makes perfect sense. Thanks.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Re file size - HELL YES
            By loads !

Hope that helps.
            Just to update, this worked superbly, so thanks again.
            The Word doc, now with diagrams inserted via paste 'special' as picture enhanced metafile, is now about the same size as a pdf!
            Been doing this all these years and still learning!
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              Just to update, this worked superbly, so thanks again.
              The Word doc, now with diagrams inserted via paste 'special' as picture enhanced metafile, is now about the same size as a pdf!
              Been doing this all these years and still learning!
              Thanks for letting us know it worked
              So glad to have helped - being on the bench makes me feel bit useless sometimes so it was great to be able to do something useful for someone.

Now if you, or anyone else, wants to help me with my Acrobat problem,( see thread a bit lower down)that would make me feel even better

Comment

Working...
              X