• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well I never knew that

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I never knew that

The venerable British bobbies helmet, known as the Custodian, actually has its origins in the German 'Pickelhaube' which explains a few things

More interesting facts please....
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

‘Video Killed The Radio Star’ was the first song on MTV.

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I am admin's sockie.

Comment

And they probably nicked it from the Vikings?

Or a round head-shaped thing with a strong dome and some space above the skull to ensure adequate protection and a peak to keep the rain off the face could just be a common sense design.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            And they probably nicked it from the Vikings?

Or a round head-shaped thing with a strong dome and some space above the skull to ensure adequate protection and a peak to keep the rain off the face could just be a common sense design.
            Possibly...

The Pickelhaube was originally designed in 1842 by King Frederick William IV of Prussia, perhaps as a copy of similar helmets that were adopted at the same time by the Russian military.[3] It is not clear whether this was a case of imitation, parallel invention, or if both were based on the earlier Napoleonic cuirassier. The early Russian type (known as "The Helmet of Yaroslav Mudry") was also used by cavalry, which had used the spike as a holder for a horsehair plume in full dress, a practice also followed with some Prussian models.
            The original Custodian design was based on the Victorian British Army Home Service helmet, which itself was based on the Prussian helmet.

Comment

Of course they're similar. They have to protect similar contents.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What? donuts?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What? donuts?
                  Well just as mushy but with less intelligence.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What? donuts?
                    Pointed little heads.

Comment

Working...
                    X