• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passport to Paisley

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport to Paisley

Why you may have to pack a passport to visit Scotland | Mail Online

Why you may have to pack a passport to visit Scotland: Families would face Calais-style checks when returning to England if country wins independence
    Families would be forced to undergo Calais-style identity checks as they returned to England by car on roads such as the A1, A68 and M74
    Rail passengers would also need to prove they had a right to enter the country before boarding a train destined for England
    There are an estimated 23 million vehicle crossings per year in both directions between Scotland and England
    Time for 'the Scottish Thread'
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I think that's because of the assumption that Scotland would be made to join the Schengen Zone, as all new EU entrants have to. If that sticks they'd have to adopt the Euro too. Could Scotland argue it's not a new entrant, just taking it's UK entry bit with it on independence?

Either way it's a mess and until these issues are addressed and the Scottish populace know what they are voting for I don't know how anyone can tick 'Yes' unless it's sheer bloodymindedness to get away from the English.

Comment

Freedom

The £ currency will be replaced by Square Sausage under the new Scottish government. This will be great for the 60% currently employed in the public sector paid for by the English taxpayer at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Could Scotland argue it's not a new entrant, just taking it's UK entry bit with it on independence?
        That's the SNP approach to the whole thing - they insist that they have professors from universities in Scotland that tell them that they are right and the EU would have to accept them on the same terms as the UK.

That stance is not, however, backed by the EU.

Either way it's a mess and until these issues are addressed and the Scottish populace know what they are voting for I don't know how anyone can tick 'Yes' unless it's sheer bloodymindedness to get away from the English.
        This - I have no real feelings one way or the other, but I cannot see how you can vote "yes" without knowing what the future is going to bring. The argument "we can't reveal how it would be because that's a hypothetical..." doesn't hold water as the referendum looms.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Would be a similar case to the NI / Republic of Ireland border ?

Trip Advisor
          United Kingdom: Crossing the Border - TripAdvisor

Land Border: The United Kingdom has just one external land border, located between the province of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. There are no routine checks in place for those crossing this border, either by foot or vehicle owing to the complexity of patrolling it. Occasionally the Irish Police ("Garda Siochana") will set up spot border checks on key arterial roads for customs purposes, but tourists will normally be waved through without any trouble. On entering Northern Ireland from the Republic of Ireland, the border is rarely signposted - apart from signs stating "speed limits in miles per hour".

Internal Borders: Visitors will also notice border signs when entering and leaving England, Scotland and Wales ("Welcome to England/Scotland" & "Croeso i Gymru").

These borders indicate where one country ends and another begins the same as it would anywhere else in the world. No passport or ID checks are required to cross these borders, but please remember, the Northern Irish, the Scots, the Welsh and the English have separate identities and these should not be confused! It is highly offensive to people from parts other than the south to use the words 'England' and 'Britain' or 'UK' interchangeably, for example do not talk about 'english money' if you mean 'british money'.

Comment

They already have an interesting road sign at Coldstream, crossing from Scotland into England:

Welcome to England
            Drive on the Left

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
              Would be a similar case to the NI / Republic of Ireland border ?

Trip Advisor
              United Kingdom: Crossing the Border - TripAdvisor

Both the UK and the Republic are non-Schengen states.

Comment

Both the UK and the Republic are non-Schengen states.
                because they as EU members refused to join when it was formed. If you join the EU now you have to join.

If Scotland become independent they will probably be considered a new entrant to the EU.

SNP believe they will be a 'transfer' not a new signing so their existing conditions should be preserved.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They should be made to turn out there pockets too before returning home. I ken you lot have sticky fingers.

For arrivals yeh be welcomed. Some tourist information:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I just want to make it all stop.

Comment

Working...
                    X