• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recipe Ideas for beef joint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe Ideas for beef joint

Have just been given a large fore rib joint which I really need to eat tonight as am away all weekend. I don't really want a roast dinner, does anyone have any interesting recipe ideas?

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
    Have just been given a large fore rib joint which I really need to eat tonight as am away all weekend. I don't really want a roast dinner, does anyone have any interesting recipe ideas?
    I sometimes pick up joints from the whoops section in Asda. They are usually on the turn and need scoffing that night. I cut them in to steaks, marinade and barbecue them.

Probly doesn't help much as it's winter, but maybe cutting them into steaks is a good idea, then you can freeze some?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I sometimes pick up joints from the whoops section in Asda. They are usually on the turn and need scoffing that night. I cut them in to steaks, marinade and barbecue them.

Probly doesn't help much as it's winter, but maybe cutting them into steaks is a good idea, then you can freeze some?
      Does freezing not ruin the quality of the meat?

Comment

Rib joint is only really suited to roasting or braising and requires at least 3 hours cooking unfortunately.

If you can't eat it now, stick it in the freezer and have it another time.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Chop it into small lumps and make a nice beef curry
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Does freezing not ruin the quality of the meat?
            You need someone who isn't a for that one.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Remove from packaging, wash it, dry it with paper towel and place DRY into your fridge, uncovered and on a plate / bowl and let it age...beef will dry-age in your fridge, undisturbed for at least 10 days past its "use by" date - it will lose some weight through evaporation but will taste much better!
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Rib joint is only really suited to roasting or braising and requires at least 3 hours cooking unfortunately.

If you can't eat it now, stick it in the freezer and have it another time.
                +1 But it's utterly awesome done right
                I'd give Scruff's dry ageing thing a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  Remove from packaging, wash it, dry it with paper towel and place DRY into your fridge, uncovered and on a plate / bowl and let it age...beef will dry-age in your fridge, undisturbed for at least 10 days past its "use by" date - it will lose some weight through evaporation but will taste much better!
                  Dry -aging smaller joints is not effective, it only really works with larger joints in specially ventilated fridges.

You leave a joint of meat in your fridge for weeks and the condensation will cause it to go mouldy.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                  X