• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switch to perm to build career?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to perm to build career?

Hi there,

Have been contracting for 50 months already ;-) as .Net Developer in financial sector in London City. Recently started to think may be I should switch to perm and start to build career.

I am 35 btw and pretty fed up with software development already. Most probably I am in middle age crisis right now hence thoughts of further life development occupying my head right now.

Would appreciate if you guys have any thoughts on these matters - switching to perm, starting career building at 35 etc.

All the best.

Thanks.

Yep go Perm, one less person to be in competition with.

Next

Comment

Not sure if we can help as this is a very personal choice. I did it the other way around. Stayed permie until I had tried to be the best I could and reached a level where the next step up in to senior management didn't appeal. I would have had to be working at a strategic business level and been quite hands off and I just didn't fancy it so had a break and then went contracting. I wasn't the type of person that could just learn coding and then stick with it for the rest of my life. People do it and are very happy so good for them. For me I would have always wondered what I could have been.

You are going to have to do some soul searching and ask where do you want to be in the next 10 years and base your choice on that. If you really want to rise through the ranks and are hungry for the next position up then perm is the way to go. Always get the role spec for the job above (or one you want to go for) and incorporate that in to your current role so you are ready for the step when opportunity presents etc.

If you just want to move sideways in to something different then you could do that perm as well. Whatever you do as perm it will take you out of your current comfort zone and that might be just what you need but it's gonna mean a short term hit in the pocket i.e. 5+ years.

I personally wouldn't fancy the prospect of doing the same thing for the next 20 years but it's all about your mind set and what you are comfortable with and only you can decide that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was thinking the other day about changing my name to Colin and becoming an IT Manager for an SME in the shires.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Scooter reaches for the tissue box.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Scooter reaches for the tissue box.
            This thread is making you horny?

Comment

Working...
            X