• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free BBC from the licence fee?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free BBC from the licence fee?

A BBC-by-subscription 'would be richer', MPs told

Analysis Could the BBC be better off if it raised money through subscriptions? Last week Westminster heard that the BBC had modelled precisely this scenario and found that it would be richer than it is today. It just didn't want to tell you.

And in a strange alignment of interests, the BBC's pay-for rivals don't want you to know either - they'd rather not have their prices compared to a by-subscription BBC.

David Elstein, a strong proponent of the subscriptions, told MPs that between 10 to 20 per cent of licence fee payers would not subscribe - but most people would, and many would pay more.

"Roughly 80 per cent of people say they would keep paying for the BBC if the cost was no different to the licence fee," said Elstein. Around 40 per cent would pay double and 10 per cent of licence fee payers would pay treble.

so are you willing to pay directly for the BBC?

Currently the BBC prosecutes around almost 200,000 non-payers a year in England and Wales (2012: 193,049), an amazing one in 10 of all court cases.
    this makes it attractive!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    A BBC-by-subscription 'would be richer', MPs told
    so are you willing to pay directly for the BBC?
    Hell no, I can't remember the last time I watched a BBC channel for more then a few minutes in a row.

Comment

Would iPlayer than become subscriber-only as well, even for catchup shows? What about live sports/music broadcasts on the website?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'd pay, I'm sure many wouldn't though.

How would it affect the other broadcasters who receive some subsidy from the license fee (Channel 4 at least IIRC)?

Comment

You only watch Dr Who right?
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The BBC pays Sky to broadcast BBC programs too.

Comment

Basically we get it for like buttons purely because it's so good, people from abroad pay loads for it to subsidise it for us Brits (or English if Scots go their own way, their telly is shiite). Look at Swiss telly, last time I looked it was $400 a year licence fee for shiite. NAT will confirm....

Don't knock it when you've got it, make it real....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Basically we get it for like buttons purely because it's so good, people from abroad pay loads for it to subsidise it for us Brits (or English if Scots go their own way, their telly is shiite). Look at Swiss telly, last time I looked it was $400 a year licence fee for shiite. NAT will confirm...
                Confirmed. We watch the various ITV/Channel 4/BBC channels.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

good point, the SBC? has Alex realised they would lose Sherlock and Dr Who?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

BBC should be financed from General Taxation - this BS with small discount to blind (!) people and taxing of TVs is crazy.

Comment

Working...
                    X