• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cretin watch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cretin watch

Opponents of HS2 in London's Primrose Hill have been rallied to action by the mayor of London's father, Stanley Johnson, calling for a "popular uprising" in the borough of Camden.

Warning not only of the cost and disruption of the construction, but the project's breaches of human rights and security implications, Johnson demanded that the scheme's architect, Lord Adonis, be stripped of his title of Baron of Camden, for the damage he would wreak on the borough. He asked a 500-strong audience of local residents, council leaders and MPs: "Would you call Bomber Harris Air Vice Marshall of Berlin?"

Johnson, whose £4m house in Park Village East will lie within 10 metres of the new subterranean track, said the proposed anchoring system along the HS2 track at that point was untested. He said: "It's never been tried, except perhaps in Japan, on the sea-wall at Fukushima."

Referring to newspaper stories of British jihadists in Birmingham, he said: "What about terrorism? With HS2 these young girls are going to get down from Birmingham 20 minutes quicker."

Johnson's emergence as a leading light of the north London anti-HS2 campaign pits him in theory against Boris, who supports the £42.6bn HS2 scheme in principle. However, the mayor has said he opposes the planned HS2-HS1 link through Camden – joining the new route to the existing high-speed rail track to France – which threatens to disrupt or constrain the growing London Overground services.

Johnson told the Guardian that the mayor's support for HS2 was based on "liking the idea of this new modern Britain, if that's not too Adonis-like", and said he would have a "pretty important role to play now", but warned: "Every time you make the impact in Camden more acceptable you diminish the need to axe the whole project."

"The council was part of a group seeking judicial reviews of the decision to build HS2, but a final appeal was dismissed this week. "That's four nurses' salaries down the drain. What's the cost-benefit ratio of legal action? Zero." (AtW's comment: that's infinity surely given £100000/0 )

Source: Boris Johnson's father calls for 'popular uprising' against HS2 | UK news | theguardian.com

You're accusing him of being biased when you live in Birmingham?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The title of the tread isn't "Bias watch"...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        The title of the tread isn't "Bias watch"...
        Whs. good find AtW. What a knob.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Kiss and cuddles all round.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Kiss and cuddles all round.
            Yes, this is General 2.0.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              For being worried a massive tunnel is going to be built 10m away from his £4m house? Wouldn't you be?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                For being worried a massive tunnel is going to be built 10m away from his £4m house? Wouldn't you be?
                AtW did underline the word subterranean for you.

HTH bivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvmdi

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  For the record I am completely NOT worried about massive tunnel being built 10m away from his £1 mln house.

What concerns me is that somebody of his age would be saying things like this -

"What about terrorism? With HS2 these young girls are going to get down from Birmingham 20 minutes quicker."

It's people like him that made HS2 costs go up by many billions - tunnels are only really necessary if track has to go through moutain.

Comment

Working...
                  X