• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear - water explosive found

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear - water explosive found

News is reporting that a woman tried to get on a flight to Pakistan carrying water bottles that bomb sniffer dogs had a good sniff of.

Why a flight to Pakistan though???? Hmm...

She's of Pakistani origin, but the flight was an internal US one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5261456.stm

Anyone else read this register story about how improbable the whole liquid explosives thing is?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...t_terror_labs/
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
      She's of Pakistani origin, but the flight was an internal US one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5261456.stm

Anyone else read this register story about how improbable the whole liquid explosives thing is?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...t_terror_labs/

Superb article (the register one) vectraMan. I'm no chemist, but the gist of the article rings a bell: personal experience has taught me to believe in incompetence rather than conspiracy theories, whether on the part of terrorists or the authorities. I think you should create a new thread with that link.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

apparently not explosives at all, just a large dose of paranoia
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

The Register has always billed itself as a tabloid, which means something like the Sun or News of the World, sadly with Mike McGees departure to setup The Inquirer their (The Regs) quality of journalism dropped to negative zone - be extremely careful to trust anything they say there.

Here is one pearl:

"At best, an infidel or two might be killed by the blast, and one or two others by flying debris as the cabin suddenly depressurizes, but that's about all you're likely to manage under the most favorable conditions possible."

So, what would happen if terrorist puts bomb to illuminator and blows it up - sudden depressurisation at 30,000 ft with tempretures aboard of -50C. Would it result in just one or two casualties? I am not so sure.

Thing to remember is this - the military has conducted very extensive research in explosives, poisons etc. There are actually viable formulaes that are simply classified and not being shared with anyone outside special people, however what one can find can lead other person to find it too, afterall a lot of dangerous things can be made from regular components. So, its possible that a much more viable liquid explosives actually possible, new formulae than those pubilshed, and its possible AQ guys were close to it or actually reached. Thus all assumptions regarding explosives in that article would automatically drop off.

In any case I'd rather fly on an airplane with no one having liquids than trust some irresponsible hack from The Register.

hth
          Last edited by AtW; 18 August 2006, 09:16.

Comment

what confuses me is that applying alkli metals to water can be explosive, so ask for a cup or 2 of water from the troly dollay and take cover.

or

are they not providing liquids to drink on the plane?
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

IMO ideal air travel should be this - people are put into rectangular boxes to pack more of them (this will make tickets cheaper) and use sleeping gas to make sure everyone sleeps, handcuff to boxes of course - after sleep to minimise arguements and make travel instantenous, almost like threaded's time machine.

This would not only minimise risk of terrorism, but also cut costs and remove fear of flying out of equation. No need for extra staff on board too - come to think of it I am off to patent business process for "terrorism proof 21st century flying".

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                what confuses me is that applying alkli metals to water can be explosive, so ask for a cup or 2 of water from the troly dollay and take cover.

or

are they not providing liquids to drink on the plane?
                Yes. Have you ever seen a carbide lamp go off? Was caving with a mate when he dropped his (he was into old gear at the time) it landed, split and went off. Glad I wasnt already on the ladder. How we laughed at him spanking his own arse to put it out.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  IMO ideal air travel should be this - people are put into rectangular boxes to pack more of them (this will make tickets cheaper) and use sleeping gas to make sure everyone sleeps, handcuff to boxes of course - after sleep to minimise arguements and make travel instantenous, almost like threaded's time machine.

This would not only minimise risk of terrorism, but also cut costs and remove fear of flying out of equation. No need for extra staff on board too - come to think of it I am off to patent business process for "terrorism proof 21st century flying".
                  Only the crew awake. Quis custodet ipses custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    Was caving with a mate when he dropped his
                    Please remain where you are - the police is on its way.

Comment

Working...
                    X