• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming over here and taking our Monarchs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming over here and taking our Monarchs

BBC News - Scottish independence: Experts say separate coronation may be necessary

If Scotland become independent, the Queen would remain Head of State. however, the country's parliament would become fully independent of the UK parliament.

The historical scenario this would most resemble would be from 1603 to 1707, when Scotland and England shared monarchs, but had separate parliaments.

seriously? I thought the point was to remove British rule. Braveheart's bits will be spinning in their graves.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    seriously? I thought the point was to remove British rule. Mel Gibson's bits will be spinning in his knickers.
    ftfy
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'd be quite happy if they took ours. I would happily send The Prince of Daftness to Somalia. Ridiculous institution, we hand wealth and privilege to a few people on the basis of birth and then castigate people for claiming benefits.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        BBC News - Scottish independence: Experts say separate coronation may be necessary

seriously? I thought the point was to remove British rule. Braveheart's bits will be spinning in their graves.
        Monarchy != Rule

England and Scotland shared the same monarch before Union, only seems right that they should continue to do so after union
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Why would you need to have a separate coronation ceremony? The queen is head of state for a large number of countries, but there wasn't a coronation in each of those countries, so why would Scotland need one?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
          X