• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Across the Andes by Frog.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Across the Andes by Frog.

Well, not quite, but across the Sahara by motorcycle.

In 1934.

It was probably safer then, with rather fewer terroristsfreedom fighters.

Book review: The Rugged Road | General | An Engineer In Wonderland

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Well, not quite, but across the Sahara by motorcycle.

In 1934.

It was probably safer then, with rather fewer terroristsfreedom fighters.

Book review: The Rugged Road | General | An Engineer In Wonderland
    Hmmm.. inneresting.

I knew a few people, back in the day, who went on one of those overland African expeditions in a 4 ton truck (normally with a mouthy Aussie at the wheel - enough to put me off). They'd travel down through Algeria - apparently you can cross the whole of the Sahara within its borders coming out at Tamanrasset on its southern edge.

Then civil war in that country put an end to that. There was always banditry but a bunch of people who will hack your head off with a rusty blade for purely ideological reasons takes it to another level altogether.

And if the Paris Dakar Rally has to take place on another continent I'm guessing the threat is very real.
    Last edited by Gittins Gal; 27 January 2014, 12:39.

Comment

Working...
    X