• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burglar Alarms - are they worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burglar Alarms - are they worth it?

All,

Thinking of getting a burglar alarm before being burgled which seems to be a common trigger to get one.
    The question is; should I bother with a more expensive 'real' system or just go for a good fake box?

Whad'ya reckon?

Just got the empty shell of one on prominent display on the front of the house.

Comment

As a part time burglar, I think to myself there must be something worth swiping from the place with the shiny new alarm.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I was unlucky in 2012 and got burgled.

We now have an alarm system and CCTV. Stable door, Horse, bolted jumps to mind.

What we have been told by police and other folks too is that all things being equal burglars would go for the house without the alarm/cctv.

Whether that means that a fake box is sufficient or not, I don't know. Certainly wouldn't do any harm.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          I was unlucky in 2012 and got burgled.

We now have an alarm system and CCTV. Stable door, Horse, bolted jumps to mind.

What we have been told by police and other folks too is that all things being equal burglars would go for the house without the alarm/cctv.

Whether that means that a fake box is sufficient or not, I don't know. Certainly wouldn't do any harm.
          +1
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If that burglar alarm was 60lbs of snarling fur then yes, worth it.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              If that burglar alarm was 60lbs of snarling fur then yes, worth it.
              You mean SY02?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                You mean SY02's beaver?
                FTFY

Comment

Only if it's monitored

When your walking down the street and you hear a car alarm go off do you rush over to see if it is being broken into, same with a house when an alarm goes off do you jump out of bed and call the police.

The alarm might scare the burglar away but it might not, and apathy will stop anyone else checking.

If it's monitored there will be an instant response, there is a better chance of stopping or catching them in the act
                  same with CCTV go for something that pushs the images to your mobile as a minimum then you can alert somone, whats the point of watching the footage after the event.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

So the best thing is to ensure your neighbours don't have an alarm. Perhaps go out in the night and rip it off the wall to make it obvious which house to burgle.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X