• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy rental estate agents ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy rental estate agents ....

I turned up to a flat for rent, it was ok so I made the agent who showed
    me around the money there and then with a receipt for payment which he signed.

Next day I get a phone call from them asking me questions like nationality and employer referenes and then they had the cheek to ask me for a 60 quid administration charge for "taking up references and making an official request to the landlord for me to be the tennat".

Ok, I fear that the landlord could have rejected me in favour for some other tennant as I want it for 6 months / 9 months and the Estate Agent is leading me on ie they just want the 60 quid admin charge and they know they cannot get me the flat.

There is another factor that tis that I have to get into the property in about 3 weeks.

What are my rights in all of this ... say if I give them an ultimatum say Thursday next week to get the landlord's confirmation whether or not I can move into the flat and if no response then demand my 170 quid deposit back ?

Is it old trading standards ? do I just get a solicitor to send them a threatening letter for the 170 quid back or do I take them to small claims court or all of the above ???

Cheers .... moving flat is stressful.

Have you signed a contract? I made a one-off payment for 6 months plus 1 month deposit when I first came in London (obviously I didn't have references at that time...). Request a contract first and then make the payment.
    In my opinion this bullsh*t with references and nationality is illegal but after all it's up to the landlord...
    The rest is silence...

Comment

The £60 for references sounds like a bit of a cheek. But then again over a year that would be £5 a month. I wouldn't pay unless you get the flat.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

IANAL but I would have thought that they have accepted you as a tenant as soon as they took your money. You have nothing else to pay. I think it is illegal for them to add extra charges at this point.

Get legal advice.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
          The £60 for references sounds like a bit of a cheek. But then again over a year that would be £5 a month. I wouldn't pay unless you get the flat.
          Ditto, sounds like they're taking the piss, no flat, no reference charge, simple as.

Comment

The problem is that you know damn well that they're going to find a "stain on the carpet" that justifies them withholding £1000 of your deposit for "cleaning costs" when you move out if you make waves now.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
              when I first came in London

Was that your first orgasm ?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates

why do people always break things down to "well that equates to a penny a day over the next 40 years " get real !

It doesn't matter what it is broken down over the year it's still YOUR hard earned cash and why should you give it to someone for nothing !

Wake up !

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                  It doesn't matter what it is broken down over the year it's still YOUR hard earned cash and why should you give it to someone for nothing !

Wake up !
                  Well said, AW, and, remarkably, no mention of anal fisting.
                  We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                    Was that your first orgasm ?
                    After 5460 lost cash for f*&^5 1 bed flat 6 months rent, I was abstinent for a while...
                    The rest is silence...

Comment

Working...
                    X