• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Syrian Jihadis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syrian Jihadis

I'm not going to provide a link to this but it's been all over the press for the past few days.

These 2 girls who were arrested at Heathrow on (I think) some kind of pretext of prevention of terrorism (they were on their way to Syria).

How, exactly, does that work? They were (foolishly IMO) going to another sovereign nation to take part in a conflict that has nothing to do with this country. So how does that justify their arrest? Did we used to arrest mercenaries en route to Angola?

One of them had £7k stuffed down her undies. Even that's not an offence since according to HMRC you don't have to declare any cash when leaving the UK under the value of 10k Euros, or equivalent.

Surely if you want to go and fight someone else's war (and we're not actively involved in that war) then that's up to you? I mean, what about all those freedom fighters who went to fight in the Spanish Civil War?

Food for thought, or not? I'd be happy for somebody to point out something glaringly obvious that I've missed.

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    I'm not going to provide a link to this but it's been all over the press for the past few days.

These 2 girls who were arrested at Heathrow on (I think) some kind of pretext of prevention of terrorism (they were on their way to Syria).

How, exactly, does that work? They were (foolishly IMO) going to another sovereign nation to take part in a conflict that has nothing to do with this country. So how does that justify their arrest? Did we used to arrest mercenaries en route to Angola?

One of them had £7k stuffed down her undies. Even that's not an offence since according to HMRC you don't have to declare any cash when leaving the UK under the value of 10k Euros, or equivalent.

Surely if you want to go and fight someone else's war (and we're not actively involved in that war) then that's up to you? I mean, what about all those freedom fighters who went to fight in the Spanish Civil War?

Food for thought, or not? I'd be happy for somebody to point out something glaringly obvious that I've missed.
    Maybe it's the fact that the groups they were going to join with in Syria are part of the global Islamic Jihad network, a network hell bent on the destruction of western culture as we know it. I would think it's only sensible to try and prevent UK citizens coming into contact with such individuals in a war zone where they can get arms and explosive training, which could then be used on our streets.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
      where they can get arms and explosive training, which could then be used on our streets.
      Wouldn't it be easier for them to just join the TA or are they after the air miles too?
      It looks like the UK is opening up to receive Syrian refugees lets hope our vetting process is up to scratch
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

One of them had £7k stuffed down her undies. .
        Obviously she'd just finished her lap dancing shift!

hmmm rather think I would !

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
          Maybe it's the fact that the groups they were going to join with in Syria are part of the global Islamic Jihad network, a network hell bent on the destruction of western culture as we know it. I would think it's only sensible to try and prevent UK citizens coming into contact with such individuals in a war zone where they can get arms and explosive training, which could then be used on our streets.
          Yes, but in what legal context? The all encompassing Prevention of Terrorism Act?

I note our friend Liddlejohn in his column today is citing examples of a high street bank refusing to hand a man £7k from his current account unless he were to provide written evidence of the purpose to which it was to be put. Anti money laundering measures apparently.

On this occasion, Liddlejohn is right to be frothing. I'd have closed the account on the spot.

Comment

Yes, but in what legal context? The all encompassing Prevention of Terrorism Act?

I note our friend Liddlejohn in his column today is citing examples of a high street bank refusing to hand a man £7k from his current account unless he were to provide written evidence of the purpose to which it was to be put. Anti money laundering measures apparently.

On this occasion, Liddlejohn is right to be frothing. I'd have closed the account on the spot.
            He's still a c**t though.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

There was an interesting point on the BBC News website recently - the British government is encouraging the rebels, so if people from the UK go there to take part in the conflict on the side of the rebels, they are following the official government policy.

Yet when they return (or before they leave), they get treated as terrorists.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I note our friend Liddlejohn in his column today is citing examples of a high street bank refusing to hand a man £7k from his current account unless he were to provide written evidence of the purpose to which it was to be put. Anti money laundering measures apparently. Local branch staff misunderstanding the guidelines from HSBC central office apparently
                FTFY
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Anything we can do to weaken the Al-Qaeda/Saudi/Qatar terrorist ring is good in my point of view. The money is going to fund barbaric people who eat the livers and organs of others. It is time the west supported the real fighters of terrorism - Syria/Iran/Iraq.

Comment

It is only a ‘war’ because it is in the interests of some politicians to call it that. On the same edict one could have called the NI troubles a war. The Syrian ‘war’ is really Islamic terrorism on a massive scale to remove Christians, Jews, and Muslims with differing views. This did not happen in Spanish Civil War.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X