• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

De-commissioning IT Sytems in Scotland.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De-commissioning IT Sytems in Scotland.

So suppose the Scots vote for independence this year.

I'm thinking most, if not all, British Government IT systems will then have to be removed and replaced by Scottish IT. After all you can hardly share your secure UK network with what would then be a foreign country.

Massive project. Tight timescales. Contractor bonanza?

Or am I getting my hopes up?

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    So suppose the Scots vote for independence this year.

Massive project. Tight budgets. Contractor rates at record low?

FTFY; they're Scots.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      Yes, it will be a no vote.

Comment

I was involved in sorting systems when Berkshire split into six unitary authorities. That was bad enough...

Comment

Ed Snowden's the man for that job
          Join IPSE

Comment

Seeing as most stuff is split already then I cant think of too much that has to be done.

Treasury and HRMC is the big one, MOD as well but really how much infrastructure will the news Scottish army need when it will probably resemble a 17th century highlander re-enactment group.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              I was involved in sorting systems when Berkshire split into six unitary authorities. That was bad enough...
              Did you ever visit their emergency nuclear bunker below the Berks HQ? It was laughable.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Seeing as most stuff is split already then I cant think of too much that has to be done.

Treasury and HRMC is the big one, MOD as well but really how much infrastructure will the news Scottish army need when it will probably resemble a 17th century highlander re-enactment group.
                Scottish / English Judicial systems are separate and presumably have different IT systems. Same with education?

MoD - Yes would need to be spilt. That would cost millions just in itself. DWP? DVLA?

Who actually owns the desktops, servers, datacentres, databases, software licences etc etc ??

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Throw enough contractors at the problem and it will be sorted. Eventually......

The £££ signs are racking up just thinking about it
                  Last edited by Flashman; 28 January 2014, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    FTFY; they're Scots.

But Scotland will have all that oil money to spend so they'll be rolling in it. Or so they've been led to believe.....

Comment

Working...
                    X