• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to say and when

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to say and when

I'm a first time contractor and left my job a few weeks ago now. I've struggled to get even an interview. I have good skills (in Oracle Apps - technical) and my CV seems to get a good reception from agencies. I have made the mistake of applying for permie jobs as well and received offers from Deloitte and EDS but have turned these down to hold out for a contract which is what I wanted. Can somebody tell me: if an agent asks if I have anything on the go is it better to say 'No', or to say that you have these offers? At what point does it become embarrassing that you have spent weeks looking without getting anything? What to say in this situation?

Any advice much appreciated.

This is a bit of a dillema and ultimately it is your decision.
    If you say you have no other offers then you sound a bit tulip, but if you say you have lots then the agent may doubt you are commited to his job.
    I usualy say I am waiting to hear, but this one is the one I want.

If you are struggling it may be because you have no track record. You could try offering to take a cut rate for 3 months. The agent will still charge the client full rate but will pocket the difference and that is a real incentive for them to place you.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by smiler
      I'm a first time contractor and left my job a few weeks ago now. I've struggled to get even an interview. I have good skills (in Oracle Apps - technical) and my CV seems to get a good reception from agencies. I have made the mistake of applying for permie jobs as well and received offers from Deloitte and EDS but have turned these down to hold out for a contract which is what I wanted. Can somebody tell me: if an agent asks if I have anything on the go is it better to say 'No', or to say that you have these offers? At what point does it become embarrassing that you have spent weeks looking without getting anything? What to say in this situation?

Any advice much appreciated.
      This is typically quite a play it by ear one, if the agent sounds desperate to fill, say I've nothing solid as yet. If he sounds like your on the bottom of his shoe, say I've had a couple of offers but have turned them down due to location, money etc, I do have a few more interviews lined up, but nothing is set in stone as yet. You should also try and cover any gaps in your CV.

Just remember, bulltulip baffles brains. Keep em interested and keep it light hearted. I also think soft skills are becoming increasingly more important in the market place and this should be displayed to an agent in conversation. He wants to sell you after all so you must sell yourself. Be confident and good luck with it.

Comment

Cue....Sasguru

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
          Cue....Sasguru
          Where is that tosser this morning???

Comment

yeah where is the pleb !

Probably justifying his ENOOORMOUS salary up his managers @arse !

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              ... but if you say you have lots then the agent may doubt you are commited to his job.
              I can usually clarify that one for him: I'm not committed to his job, or to anything else until I've signed the contract. I went contracting so that I could stop pretending that I really wanted that career move, and the agents could stop pretending that they were offering me anything interesting except money.

So yes, I always have something else on the go.

Comment

Thanks for advice - nothing is easy!

I thought that my problems might be:
                summer period so maybe hiring is on the quiet?
                first time contractor so agents reluctant to chance it?
                rate too high (£500 per day)?
                as stated made the mistake of applying for permie jobs as well and wasted time money and effort on those interviews. Also EDS could have been a potential contract employer.

I did have one contract offer from a former client but it would be awkward as it is on a project with my former employer. That would probably really annoy them!

Comment

Its okay rate for a high class call out girl for "imaginary girlfriend experience", allegedly of course...

Comment

Doing what?

Comment

Working...
                    X