• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JP Morgan building plunge victim was IT chief at bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SAS still here?

JP Morgan building plunge victim was IT chief at bank | The Times

People look out of the window of the J P Morgan building at Canary Wharf
    A senior employee at JP Morgan plunged to his death from the top of the bank’s headquarters in London’s Docklands today in an apparent suicide witnessed by workers in nearby buildings and the street below.

Police were called to the scene at 25 Bank Street, in Canary Wharf, shortly after 8am after Gabriel Magee, a vice-president in the investment bank’s technology division, fell from the 33-storey tower and landed on a ninth-floor roof.

Ambulances and an air ambulance rushed to the site but Mr Magee — a senior trading systems architect who had worked at the bank for ten years — was pronounced dead at the scene.

“We are deeply saddened to have lost a member of the JP Morgan family at 25 Bank Street today. Our thoughts and sympathy are with his family and his friends,” a spokeswoman said.

Staff in nearby buildings went on to Twitter to report on the incident. “Horrible thing to see first thing. RIP,” one wrote.

There was disquiet, however, at the fact that the man’s body was left where it fell for almost four hours, covered with a cloth.

“They didn’t even put a tent around him,” one woman complained.

Another Docklands employee, Andrew Lawrence, tweeted: “Sad scene. Someone jumped/fell at JPMorgan Canary Wharf. A sorry view from my desk. Police everywhere, but nobody approaching the body, odd.”

The Bank Street building, which is 153m high, was opened by Gordon Brown, the then Chancellor, in 2004.

It had originally been earmarked for the trading giant Enron before it collapsed in 2001 but went on to serve as the European headquarters of Lehman Brothers until it collapsed in September 2008 - after which bankers were photographed leaving the building with boxes of possessions.

It has housed JP Morgan’s European, Middle East and African headquarters since July 2012.

Separately, it emerged today that 58-year-old William Broeksmit, a former senior executive at Deutsche Bank, was found hanged at his London home in Evelyn Gardens, Kensington, on Sunday.

In an internal memo to staff, Anshu Jain and Juergen Fitschen, the co-chief executives of Deutsche Bank, said that Mr Broeksmit was “considered by many of his peers to be among the finest minds in the fields of risk and capital management” and was “instrumental as a founder of our investment bank”.

They said: “We are deeply saddened by Bill’s death. He was a dear friend and colleague to many of us who benefited from his intellect and wisdom. Our thoughts and condolences are with his wife and family at this time. We will remember him for his contributions to Deutsche Bank, thoughtful advice and personal friendship. Bill’s family has requested privacy at this time.”

Mr Broeksmit worked at Deutsche Bank from 1996 to 2001, returning in 2008 until he retired in February last year.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Not a good time at JPM. Before this, we lost someone on team to a heart attack last Sunday. And 4 months ago a team member put himself under a train.

At least this time it was not someone I worked with.

One of his hobbies was meditation.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Not a good time at JPM.
      It's OK time for CEO -

JPMorgan Chase raises CEO Jamie Dimon's pay to $20 million - NY Daily News

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Not a good time at JPM. Before this, we lost someone on team to a heart attack last Sunday. And 4 months ago a team member put himself under a train.

At least this time it was not someone I worked with.

One of his hobbies was meditation.
        What the hell is going on there that is causing these suicides?
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Did he have a Disaster Recovery plan?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Managers have a free license to be really nasty to staff there and no-one bats an eye lid. Complaining about managers there gets you no-where.

Comment

.....fell from the 33-storey tower and landed on a ninth-floor roof.
              “They didn’t even put a tent around him,” one woman complained.
              Alright love, here's a tent - you nip up onto the 9th floor roof and cover him up. Or stop gawping out of your window at him. Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                What the hell is going on there that is causing these suicides?
                Greed.

Let me explain how that works. I offer you £100k to do a job. You say no. I offer you £200k. And you say well, no. So on and so forth until I offer you £XXX you're prepared to take any crap I hand you.

Eventually the money cannot cover the underlying emotions of your actions. You feel isolated. You could walk away but that would mean leaving the money. I can't do that so the isolation now becomes entrapment. There's no way out. Or is there.

Greed.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There are IT staff taking crap there for £25-40k day in/day out, ok they may be juniors but nevertheless still emotionally vulnerable like all human beings.

I didn't know the guy when I was there but he was there a long time and most V.P. level staff like him at JP Morgan are usually the most secure in their jobs often leading a team of workers and responsible for something that cannot be done away with easily. So I am curious to find out what was the root cause of this problem. I mean no IT job in the City is worth killing yourself over, I was never sacked or made redundant ever but I didn't care if it ever came to that - for me it would have just meant a forced change not the end of the world.

If you 'really' get to know IT staff in the city most of them hate/dislike their jobs immensely and only put up with it because of the money, they don't go their to socialize regularly or to make life long friends.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    There are IT staff taking crap there for £25-40k day in/day out.
                    I take a slice of that crap for £40k a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X