• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

144mph speeding A19 drivers given suspended jail terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a 164mph on the autobahn the other month without a court case or suspended jail term. Managed to shave 12 minutes of the tom tom arrival time

The lead driver should have pleaded innocent, and demonstrated the car was safe to drive at that speed.

BBC News - 144mph speeding A19 drivers given suspended jail terms

28 January 2014 Last updated at 18:21 GMT

The two men were closely following each other at high speed on the A19

Two drivers caught speeding at 144mph (232km/h) on the A19 in North Yorkshire have been given suspended jail terms.

Daniel Scott Richardson, 21, from Batley, and James Burrows, 26, of Methley in Leeds, had pleaded guilty to dangerous driving.

The police camera operator was said to be "utterly astounded" when he captured the men travelling at the speed in their respective cars.

The pair were given four-month jail terms, suspended for 18 months.

Error 'catastrophic'
    Dave Brown, North Yorkshire Police's mobile safety camera manager, said: "The evidence captured by the safety camera shows both vehicles travelling in close proximity at extremely high speed.

"Any error, no matter how minor, could have been catastrophic for the two drivers, their passengers and other road users.

"The safety camera operator at the time was utterly astounded by the speed of the vehicles."

The men were caught on the southbound carriageway of the A19, near Crathorne, on 30 November.

Magistrates in Northallerton also banned both men from driving for three years and ordered them to each complete 300 hours of unpaid work.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 28 January 2014, 22:03.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Did a 164mph on the autobahn the other month with a court case or suspended jail term. Managed to shave 12 minutes of the tom tom arrival time

The lead driver should have pleaded innocent, and demonstrated the car was safe to drive at that speed.

BBC News - 144mph speeding A19 drivers given suspended jail terms
    That part of the A19 is dangerous at 70mph let alone 140mph. and I'm usually happy to do 90+ on the A1M...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Did a 164mph on the autobahn the other month without a court case or suspended jail term. Managed to shave 12 minutes of the tom tom arrival time
      Pardon me stating the bleeding obvious, but since the autobahns don't have the same speed restrictions applied you not being prosecuted is hardly a shock, I assume your post was simply an attempt to brag, but since many on CUK will have driven on the autobahns I doubt anyone is overly impressed.

Comment

TBH I've done that many times on the A19 but agree its not a good thing on that part of it...too many unmarked cars and speed cameras now make it worse...
        Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Pardon me stating the bleeding obvious, but since the autobahns don't have the same speed restrictions applied you not being prosecuted is hardly a shock, I assume your post was simply an attempt to brag, but since many on CUK will have driven on the autobahns I doubt anyone is overly impressed.
          It's insecurity. Every day he posts articles to convince himself that Germany is some amazing utopia. Everyone else just yawns and ignores him.

Comment

Who wants to touch me?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting he measures in mph, not kph, bit of billy bullshiite going on here I think. And not many cars do 164mph, but of course OP probably has a Ferrari or Alpina or something.

I did an indicated 140mph in my 1988 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso on the M6 very straight bit before Penrith sometime in 2002, reality it was probably 120mph due to speedos going way off over 100, 2:00am, no cars about and I felt no pride in it, in fact, I realised almost immediately it was a bloody stupid thing to do.

Not something I'm proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Interesting he measures in mph, not kph, bit of billy bullshiite going on here I think. And not many cars do 164mph, but of course OP probably has a Ferrari or Alpina or something.

I did an indicated 140mph in my 1988 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso on the M6 very straight bit before Penrith sometime in 2002, reality it was probably 120mph due to speedos going way off over 100, 2:00am, no cars about and I felt no pride in it, in fact, I realised almost immediately it was a bloody stupid thing to do.

What has Lusso got to do with it?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Even a standard rental Merc C class or Audi A4 will do 140mph. I used to drive around at 120 (200km/h) or more quite a lot when I was there. There are a surprising amount of people going much faster than that.

I've been over 140 in this country, that was in a Porsche with someone else driving though.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Converted it for the imperialists amongst you. Actually I now realise it was 154mph not 164. I was driving a BMW 640d sport edition that got given to me by sixt when the car initially hired was unavailable. The sales assistant told me 'be careful'. I had not realised why until later that morning. Oh my that thing went.

Comment

Working...
                    X