• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tonight the gagging law is passed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight the gagging law is passed

The government’s has succeeded in passing a new law tonight that will have a chilling effect on British democracy me dears. From May 2014, the draconian new rules would prevent non-politicians from speaking up on the big issues of the day.

What a nanny state. It is something of an outrage that a modern democracy can pass this in to law whist on the other it profiles individuals with their online data and eavesdropping on their communications.

So the next time our glorious leader makes a public statement, just nod like good little puppies.

From 38 degrees:

It couldn't have been closer. On the final vote, 245 Lords voted in favour and 245 against. Unfortunately the rules mean that in the case of a tie, the government gets its way.

Personally I feel pretty devastated about this. I'm worried about what it means for the future of 38 Degrees. More importantly, I'm worried about what it means for the future of democracy, and what it tells us about the state of British politics.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

You are in the fatherland so why the interest?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Because he doesn't actually have an friends (in Germany)?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I dunno, maybe its because Britain is a world leader so where Britain leads, others follow...perhaps...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I dunno, maybe its because Britain is a world leader so where Britain leads, others follow...perhaps...
          Inflation outpacing income against commodities people depend on. Mass surveillance. A law passed to gag public speech on popular debate. More the double the amount of CCTV cameras per head of population, three times more than any other country. Throw you in jail for 90-days without charge.

Right now Britain is following 1930's Germany. Some leader.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Right now Britain is following 1930's Germany. Some leader.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The government’s has succeeded in passing a new law tonight that will have a chilling effect on British democracy me dears. From May 2014, the draconian new rules would prevent non-politicians from speaking up on the big issues of the day.

What a nanny state. It is something of an outrage that a modern democracy can pass this in to law whist on the other it profiles individuals with their online data and eavesdropping on their communications.

So the next time our glorious leader makes a public statement, just nod like good little puppies.

From 38 degrees:
              No link, no background on what this law is you're blithering on about. Can anyone be bothered to give a proper explanation?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                No link, no background on what this law is you're blithering on about. Can anyone be bothered to give a proper explanation?
                Perhaps take an interest in politics.

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/pages/the_gagging_law

Lobbying bill passes through House of Lords

Comment

Maybe an example would help.

It is the wish of the government to get fracking underway in the north.

Protest about this policy and you're now breaking the law as of today.

Comment

Maybe an example would help.

It is the wish of the government to get fracking underway in the north.

Protest about this policy and you're now breaking the law as of today.

How do you get that from the links you've posted?

Charities and voluntary groups raise concerns for civil society as controversial bill limits groups' spending ahead of an election

Neither article actually explains what the implications are other than limited spending.

Comment

Working...
                    X