• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Test Lead's question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Lead's question

A Test Lead from another project just blew off some steam because he says he can't sign off some tests but the Project Managerman's going to go ahead anyway. He asked 'what is the point of testing if they do that?' So I answered 'the point is that you and I get paid for it; keep calm and carry on invoicing'.

Am I cynical, right, or both?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    A Test Lead from another project just blew off some steam because he says he can't sign off some tests but the Project Managerman's going to go ahead anyway. He asked 'what is the point of testing if they do that?' So I answered 'the point is that you and I get paid for it; keep calm and carry on invoicing'.

Am I cynical, right, or both?
    Depends if he is a permie or contractor.

Either way document the fact the tests failed to cover his backside and smile.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Contractor.

Comment

He just needs to make sure the risks are documented and if Programme accepts the risk then he or she has done their job

Too many testers think their job is to deliver a defect free deployment

Cover your ar5e and invoice away
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

This.

It's not for the tester to decide whether the failure of a test case constitutes a 'no-go'. He simply reports the issue, offers an opinion, and then says "I told you so" when it all goes tits-up.

Comment

Contractor.
            In which case hold nose, cover backside (laugh behind managers back) and keep invoicing....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As long as he's covered I don't think it matters, I guess he's just passionate about what he does. I had something similar happen to me in Switzerland and I just learned that I had to deal with it, I think this was helped immensely by the fact I was a contractor
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                This.

It's not for the tester to decide whether the failure of a test case constitutes a 'no-go'. He simply reports the issue, offers an opinion, and then says "I told you so" when it all goes tits-up.
                NOOO! You document it all, you advise against going ahead but then when they do you help them as much as you can and send invoices for it. Never say 'I told you so'; that's a sure way to lose a contract. Better to suggest how to prevent problems next time around.

Comment

For current project our build was completed by the bobs before even the requirements were signed off

then the rogue BA lead has his hand in undocumented/approved 'further tweaks' that i have no visibility of - yey .

I remember when SOX came out, none of these antics were tolerated, its a circus.

So yes, head down, raise all risks and publish them, then invoice

Comment

NOOO! You document it all, you advise against going ahead but then when they do you help them as much as you can and send invoices for it. Never say 'I told you so'; that's a sure way to lose a contract. Better to suggest how to prevent problems next time around.
                    When I said: say "I told you so"; I didn't mean to say it to the client - that would, as you rightly pointed out, be counter-productive. More a case of posting about your superior foresight and how awesome you are to some random strangers on an internet forum (or similar).

Comment

Working...
                    X