• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Junk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk

I've always been a big fan of junk.

Whether it was going to car boots, being a sharp elbowed gannet at jumble sales, trawling the back alleys of Brighton; I used to get endless pleasure out of perusing other people's junk knowing that I could come away with something which, even if it had no intinsic value, was of value to me and was purchased at a junk price.

These days, though, people are more clued up - largely as a result of the internet and sites like eBay I suppose but all those TV programmes like Bargain Hunt and Cash in the Attic have probably also affected the national psyche in terms of how we get rid of our junk.

A little while ago I was in our local reclamation yard where there were several old telephone boxes on display. I asked the yard foreman how much he was asking (I always liked the idea of having one for the garden and filling it with pelargoniums in the summertime) and was staggered when he said £1800. He registered my surprise and said that he didn't expect anyone local to buy one but for them all to be sold to American bidders since they were also being advertised online.

Go to any car boot sale and the bulk of the stalls seem to be manned by professional dealers - even those who aren't pros seem to know the worth of everything by seeing how much things go for on eBay. Even our local village day is like this now. Up until a few years ago, after gleaning all that was on offer, I would reconvene with my cohorts in the Mildmay Arms to compare purchases - one year I nearly brought the place to a standstill when I casually strolled in with a rusty old blunderbuss under my arm (bought for the huge sum of £2.50, now cleaned up, taking pride of place over the fireplace and worth at least £300 ).

Then, with the advent of eBay, we started to play a little game. Each player had £10 to spend on whatever they want and the winner is the person who makes the most profit from selling their items on eBay. You don't get much for £10 these days though. Last year, one stallholder was selling an enamelled bar tray from the QE2. Nice item, I thought - how much? £75! She Wouldn't even haggle - just said that if she didn't get the price she wanted she'd sell it on eBay...ruins all the fun, really

Anyhow, I was thinking about all this the other day when I was in one of my favourite bric a brac stores. There was some nice stuff in there - but it was all priced accordingly and there wasn't a lot in there that you wouldn't see in any other similar store.

So I left empty handed. Feeling a little empty inside, too.

Then, a few days later,I had a bit of a revelation - I was on the Isle of Portland and chanced upon a total Aladdin's cave of junk; all kinds of stuff in there and some scruffy looking grebo behind the counter whow was very amenable about being flexible on price.

Anyhow, I walked out with a signed limited edition Thierry Poncelet print in a lovely gilt frame for 15 quid - but that in itself is by the by. What did occur to me, however, is that any true junk lover such as myself needs to forget about the bucolic and head off to a complete dump that is free from weekending Londoners and internet savvy proprietors. For that is where you can still find real junk at junk prices.

I'll be putting this to the test in a couple of weeks when I head up to Stoke on Trent

wanna see my junk...

I can guarantee it won't leave you feeling empty inside!

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
      I've always been a big fan of junk.
      D'ya have a lot of junk in your trunk?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I'm in the process of getting my house in Devon ready (read : emptying) to let out.

I am not impressed with junk and didn't realise I had so much of the stuff.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          I'm in the process of getting my house in Devon ready (read : emptying) to let out.

I am not impressed with junk and didn't realise I had so much of the stuff.
          I'll offer you a tenner for a job lot!

Comment

I used to buy loads of secondhand books from a junk shop in Brentwood when one day I spotted some albums (vinyl records, that is) and had a look through. From the selection I got 8 Marc Bolan albums and the original Hawkwind - Space Ritual double album in fold out sleeve, all in mint condition for 50p each. When going to pay for them, a plastic sleeve fell out of one which had a flexi disc in it of The Faces from a 60's NME which had never been played. I asked the old lady behind the counter how much for it and she just threw it in gratis and is now worth an arm and a leg. The best one though was a random purchase of an Agitation Free album (obscure Krautrock) for GBP1.49 which was actually worth over 800 nicker (oh and the one off Hawkwind single for €5.) The greatest markup I ever made was on an old Singer car which I bought for 3 quid to use as the 'going to the pub motor' and flogged to the scrappy for 15 big ones!
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

There are bargains on ebay if you know where to look. I just shifted a parametric eq unit for more than twice what I paid, all it needed was some fader lube and a new psu.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                I used to buy loads of secondhand books from a junk shop in Brentwood when one day I spotted some albums (vinyl records, that is) and had a look through. From the selection I got 8 Marc Bolan albums and the original Hawkwind - Space Ritual double album in fold out sleeve, all in mint condition for 50p each. When going to pay for them, a plastic sleeve fell out of one which had a flexi disc in it of The Faces from a 60's NME which had never been played. I asked the old lady behind the counter how much for it and she just threw it in gratis and is now worth an arm and a leg. The best one though was a random purchase of an Agitation Free album (obscure Krautrock) for GBP1.49 which was actually worth over 800 nicker (oh and the one off Hawkwind single for €5.) The greatest markup I ever made was on an old Singer car which I bought for 3 quid to use as the 'going to the pub motor' and flogged to the scrappy for 15 big ones!
                I've never seen anything other than those "Top of the Pops" compilation albums in the record section of any junk shop I've been in.

I bough one once and was very disappointed, on giving it its first spin, to find that they were all cover versions by The Ronnie Hazlehurst Orchestra with the Mike Sammes Singers. Or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I used to buy loads of secondhand books from a junk shop in Brentwood when one day I spotted some albums (vinyl records, that is) and had a look through....
                  I was there last summer, but didn't find anything as juicy. A few years ago, I did find an obscure niche album for £4 in oxfam, that trades on ebay for £400.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    trawling the back alleys of Brighton
                    Is that a euphemism?
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X