• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

50/50 Fat / Sugar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50/50 Fat / Sugar

Interesting watching the Horizon program, which is worse for you fat or sugar?

Turns out it's a 50/50 mixture. Avoid processed foods be the long and short of it.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Turns out it's a 50/50 mixture. Avoid processed foods be the long and short of it.
    Jesus fook, is that your understanding of it?

This place really is at bursting point with idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Jesus fook, is that your understanding of it?

This place really is at bursting point with idiots.
      Avoiding processed food is eminently sensible - it will never be as good as cooking it yourself.

Comment

Starting a thread just to insult another poster?

Ooops - just realised it's not about MF.

Comment

Interesting watching the Horizon program, which is worse for you fat or sugar?

Were we watching the same program? Things I took away were:

Don't eat a diet which is high in fat, and has no sugar. It stops the body producing insulin and will make you borderline diabetic within a month. (Contrary to popular belief)

A sugar rich, zero fat diet will have almost zero impact on your insulin production capability and will not make you diabetic - your body will adapt to cope (Contrary to popular belief)

Either of the diets above are fairly self regulating - that is your body will say 'enough' when it's had enough calories. A 50/50 mix like ice cream, cheese cake etc breaks the natural trigger (presumably because these foods do not exist naturally), so you can continue to gorge on them until you reach MF like proportions which is what they tested on rats.

So basically fad diets don't work, and you should try to avoid foods which are high in fat and sugar.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Starting a thread just to insult another poster?

Ooops - just realised it's not about MF.
            ooh was that the wind? maybe get your sails in?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

Don't eat a diet which is high in fat, and has no sugar. It stops the body producing insulin and will make you borderline diabetic within a month. (Contrary to popular belief)

A sugar rich, zero fat diet will have almost zero impact on your insulin production capability and will not make you diabetic - your body will adapt to cope (Contrary to popular belief)

Either of the diets above are fairly self regulating - that is your body will say 'enough' when it's had enough calories. A 50/50 mix like ice cream, cheese cake etc breaks the natural trigger (presumably because these foods do not exist naturally), so you can continue to gorge on them until you reach MF like proportions which is what they tested on rats.

So basically fad diets don't work, and you should try to avoid foods which are high in fat and sugar.
              Didn't see it, but that matches permie at clientCo's synopsis.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

It was a brief summary I gave.

It had not occurred to me that weight gain was really neither down to fat or sugar on their own but rather the combination.

I was surprised the high fat diet was so damaging. The ATKINS diet is potential very bad for you despite the weight loss.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It was a brief summary I gave.

It had not occurred to me that weight gain was really neither down to fat or sugar on their own but rather the combination.

I was surprised the high fat diet was so damaging. The ATKINS diet is potential very bad for you despite the weight loss.

It was sample of one person over a few weeks.

That is the problem with this type of show, it just confuses people who look for meaning in what is an entertainment program.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    It was sample of one person over a few weeks.

That is the problem with this type of show, it just confuses people who look for meaning in what is an entertainment program.
                    Horizon is entertainment?! - You take that back!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X