• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ukraine unrest: EU and US clash with Russia in Munich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a bit of a who-ha going on in town at the minute. More polis than I care to count.

BBC News - Ukraine unrest: EU and US clash with Russia in Munich

1 February 2014 Last updated at 14:44 GMT
    Anti-government protester on 1 FebAnti-government protests in Ukraine show no sign of coming to an end
    Ukraine's future has sparked angry exchanges at a summit in Munich.

European Council President Herman Van Rompuy said the "future of Ukraine belongs with the EU" while US Secretary of State John Kerry said the US backed Ukraine's "fight for democracy".

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused Western countries of double standards over violent protests.

Ukraine has been in turmoil since November, when it scrapped an EU accord in favour of a Russian bailout.

'Time on our side'
    The security conference is an annual event held to discuss military and political affairs.

Herman Van Rompuy: "The future of Ukraine belongs with the European Union"
    Mr Van Rompuy's opening speech referred to the EU's offer of close association with Ukraine.

"The offer is still there and we know time is on our side. The future of Ukraine belongs with the European Union," he said.

Mr Kerry launched a broad attack on "a disturbing trend in too many parts of Central and Eastern Europe and the Balkans".

He said: "The aspirations of citizens are once again being trampled beneath corrupt, oligarchic interests - interests that use money to stifle political opposition and dissent, to buy politicians and media outlets, and to weaken judicial independence."

Mr Kerry added: "Nowhere is the fight for a democratic, European future more important today than in Ukraine. The United States and EU stand with the people of Ukraine in that fight."

He said the "vast majority of Ukrainians want to live freely in a safe and prosperous country - they are fighting for the right to associate with partners who will help them realise their aspirations".

In an apparent swipe at Moscow, he added that "their futures do not have to lie with one country alone, and certainly not coerced".

Mr Lavrov said that a "choice is being imposed [on Ukraine] and Russia is not going to be engaged in this".

He asked: "What does incitement of violent street protests have to do with the promotion of democracy? Why do we not hear condemnation of those who seize government buildings and attack police and use racist, anti-Semitic and Nazi slogans?"

US Secretary of State John Kerry, 1 FebJohn Kerry had harsh words for corruption in eastern Europe and the Balkans
    Opposition activists stand guard near the entrance to a private hospital where activist Dmytro Bulatov is being treated in Kiev, Ukraine, 31 JanOpposition activists guard a private hospital in Kiev treating activist Dmytro Bulatov
    Mr Lavrov said: "Why are many prominent European politicians actually encouraging such actions, although back home they are quick to severely punish any violations of the law?"

Interfax also quoted Mr Lavrov as saying: "When John Kerry... says that Ukraine should choose who it is with - with the whole world or with one country, Kerry - with his experience, good sense - is the last person I would expect such propaganda from."

Sergei Lavrov: "What does incitement of violent street protests have to do with the promotion of democracy?"
    On Saturday Mr Kerry is scheduled to meet Ukraine opposition leaders said to include Arseniy Yatsenyuk, boxer-turned-politician Vitaly Klitschko, legislator Petro Poroshenko and pop star Ruslana Lyzhychko.

The White House has confirmed it is discussing possible sanctions against Ukraine with the US Congress.

It was unclear whether Mr Kerry will meet Ukrainian Foreign Minister Leonid Kozhara, who is at the summit.

Before arriving in Munich, Mr Kerry said that concessions from President Viktor Yanukovych had "not yet reached an adequate level of reform".

Mr Yatsenyuk, who heads the Batkivshchyna party, recently refused an offer from President Yanukovych to become PM, one of the concessions.

President Yanukovych, who is currently on sick leave, has also tried to ease the crisis by repealing anti-protest laws, signing an amnesty for protesters and accepting the resignation of his cabinet.

Duncan Crawford: "Dmytro Bulatov is accused of trying to instigate riots"

However, opposition leaders are calling for his resignation and early elections.

One key issue for Mr Kerry and the opposition leaders will be the issue of Ukraine protester Dmytro Bulatov.

He went missing for eight days and said he had been kidnapped and tortured by captors who spoke with Russian accents.

He is now in hospital in Kiev under guard from both police and anti-government demonstrators.

Both White House spokesman Jay Carney and EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton said they were "appalled" by the apparent signs of torture.

US ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt went to the hospital on Saturday to try to meet Mr Bulatov but doctors did not allow him to visit.

Ukraine's interior ministry says it wants to interrogate the activist on suspicion of organising mass unrest, and to examine his account of torture.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Going East didn't work out too well for Napoleon and Hitler. Has Baron von Rumpey gone a country too far?

And what the fracks this got to do with the Americans anyway? Revenge for the Russian backing of President Assad?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      And what the fracks this got to do with the Americans anyway? Revenge for the Russian backing of President Assad?
      The yanks are not a popular in town at the minute. Protestors made that clear enough. Then there's the NSA nonsense. How the yanks would love that to be forgotten but German politicians are still fuming.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Has Baron von Rumpey gone a country too far?
        Talking of which, I consider myself a Europhile but that ugly small Belgian 'manneke' pi..es me off. And another Belgian is ready to take over him.

Why is it that the Belgians, who hate each other and live in a latent civil war, can speak on behalf of the EU?
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
          Talking of which, I consider myself a Europhile but that ugly small Belgian 'manneke' pi..es me off. And another Belgian is ready to take over him.

Why is it that the Belgians, who hate each other and live in a latent civil war, can speak on behalf of the EU?
          I suppose its because Belgium's a small 'neutral' country?

If it was a politician from one of the major countries, Germany, France, Britain it might be considered a power grab.

The amount of EU offices in Belgium they must have made a fortune out of it. And they've got the NATO headquarters aswell.

Comment

I suppose its because Belgium's a small 'neutral' country?
            This is a misunderstanding on which the Belgians have built their fortunes. Belgium have taken part in WWI and WW2 and sent troops to Afghanistan and Irak.

They were a ruthless colonial power and were heavily involved in the slave trade.

Belgium has been a port of entry towards fighting the Germans, and this is the only sense of gratitude we can have but enough is enough.

Wasn't the decision not to have a democratically elected European government (not the mickey mouse European Council) motivated by the fear or allowing the Germans to rule legally over the continent?
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

This is a misunderstanding on which the Belgians have built their fortunes. Belgium have taken part in WWI and WW2 and sent troops to Afghanistan and Irak.

They were a ruthless colonial power and were heavily involved in the slave trade.

Belgium has been a port of entry towards fighting the Germans, and this is the only sense of gratitude we can have but enough is enough.

Wasn't the decision not to have a democratically elected European government (not the mickey mouse European Council) motivated by the fear or allowing the Germans to rule legally over the continent?
              Watch Hotel Rwanda, and then tell me how you feel about the Belgium's.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Watch Hotel Rwanda, and then tell me how you feel about the Belgium's.
                I might watch it one day but I don't usually let myself get influenced by Hollywood propaganda.

Would you want your feelings about Scotland to be influenced by Braveheart (1995)?

Comment

I might watch it one day but I don't usually let myself get influenced by Hollywood propaganda.
                  Mostly produced by Metropolitan Filmexport [France]

Would you want your feelings about Scotland to be influenced by Braveheart (1995)?
                  I deal in facts, not feelings, as summaries nicely by rent boy.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Mostly produced by Metropolitan Filmexport [France]

I deal in facts, not feelings, as summaries nicely by rent boy.

Classic clip.

Comment

Working...
                    X