• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

L2b training - tips and discussion thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L2b training - tips and discussion thread

1. Remove your saddle. You will train alot more. Unless you are MF of course.

2. Cycle to the channel tunnel and back. This only really works is if, like me, you live in Folkestone.

Comment

Stop looking out the window thinking, "It's a nice day, I could go out for a ride" and get off your arse and go for a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Stop looking out the window thinking, "It's a nice day, I could go out for a ride" and get off your arse and go for a ride.
        Stop posting on CUK reading threads about L2B when you could be on your bike.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Stop posting on CUK reading threads about L2B when you could be on your bike.
          Google maps says 16 miles but I think that's wrong as I took a couple of short cuts off the road, so I'm going with somewhere between 12-14 miles, with the last 2 miles offroad in the mud(which near killed me). My average speed is crap (was averaging 10mph on the road on the mountain bike before my cycle computer reset accidently)
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Google maps says 16 miles but I think that's wrong as I took a couple of short cuts off the road, so I'm going with somewhere between 12-14 miles, with the last 2 miles offroad in the mud(which near killed me). My average speed is crap (was averaging 10mph on the road on the mountain bike before my cycle computer reset accidently)
            Yep, offroad is going to be much slower than road.

Did my 13 miles (road) in an hour - really felt like I was pushing it, but much slower than the same route last year. Quite windy though.

Get endomondo for you phone (free) - measures distances pretty accurately and plots routes. You can see splits on the PC - all interesting stuff. And you can keep it private or share it with fellow L2Bers - up to you. I got an armband thingy for a few quid when I was using the phone for tracking - well worth it.

Comment

Not on the L2B this year, but congrats to those who are on getting of your arses and doing it.

IIRC it's 55 miles in total. With basically 4 months to prepare, if you can do 20 miles now (you can, you just don;t know it) you just need to add 10 miles a month to your training distances and you're there. Add 2.5 miles a week. At 12mph thats an extra 13 mins on the bike a week (give or take a bit).

Don't think you have to do it all in one go either. You won't on the day so don't try and do it in training. Go half distance and take a break. Doesn't have to be long, just 10 or 15 minutes in a cafe to have a cup of tea.

That's the bit you don't realise about cycling clubs when you see them all whizzing past in their lycra. Yes they'll be doing a decent distance at a decent pace, but you can bet they'll be stopping half way for a cuppa and a slice of cake. It's only the guys who race seriously who will go full distance when they're training. The rest of us mere mortals need a sit down and a breather!

The hardest part is just getting used to being on the bike, once you adjust to that the rest gets easier.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ride there in the morning.

Ride back in the afternoon.

Have a decent meal in the evening.

A pleasant Sunday potter.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                  Ride there in the morning.

Ride back in the afternoon.

Have a decent meal in the evening.

A pleasant Sunday potter.
                  Not too late to join our team! PM me your email if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Not too late to join our team! PM me your email if you're interested.
                    I'm doing This now.

It leaves Sundays free for a full day's billing. 'Cos I is a proper contractor!

Comment

Working...
                    X