• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If a child persistently breaks school rules, should they be excluded?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a child persistently breaks school rules, should they be excluded?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    WHS. I can't believe how many people think this is fine.

OP, can we have a poll please?
    So - if a child keeps breaking the school rules, and the parents are warned about this, if they continue to break the rules, should the school exclude the child or ignore the rule breaking?
    Of course it should, they keep breaking the rules
    83.33%
    Of course it shouldn't, what does the Mail say?
    0.00%
    I break the rules with Andyw behind the bike sheds
    16.67%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    So - if a child keeps breaking the school rules, and the parents are warned about this, if they continue to break the rules, should the school exclude the child or ignore the rule breaking?
    The child didn't break the rules - the parents did. There are many better ways of dealing with it - confiscate the forbidden snack and provide the child with fruit instead (bill the parents for the fruit if you must).

I think the real point here is that it is arguably a school's role to encourage healthy eating, but it's not its role to enforce it.

Comment

The child didn't break the rules - the parents did. There are many better ways of dealing with it - confiscate the forbidden snack and provide the child with fruit instead (bill the parents for the fruit if you must).

I think the real point here is that it is arguably a school's role to encourage healthy eating, but it's not its role to enforce it.
      It's the school's role to enforce school policy. If there is one family which does not conform to the school policy then appropriate sanctions should be applied, in line with the school disciplinary policy.

Why should school not enforce their policies?
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Nice bit of manoeuvring, asking a slightly different question to what we were discussing, in order to bias responses and make supporting one side of the argument seem farcical. It's called reductio ad absurdum and is a cheap tactic used by politicians and climate debaters.
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          It's the school's role to enforce school policy. If there is one family which does not conform to the school policy then appropriate sanctions should be applied, in line with the school disciplinary policy.

Why should school not enforce their policies?
          So do you think it is appropriate to punish a child for being given the wrong lunch by its parents?

And if so, can you think of better punishments than the one meted out?

Comment

What is the point of rules if they are not enforced

How about something different like a uniform breach. The child is repeatedly told off for not wearing a tie. Parents are informed but they reply that they don't think that their child needs to wear a tie.
            If the school was to back down then the message being given is that wearing a tie doesn't matter and the school won't enforce the rule.
            If the school doesn't back down and the parents continually refuse to comply then more and more drastic action will be required.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Nice bit of manoeuvring, asking a slightly different question to what we were discussing, in order to bias responses and make supporting one side of the argument seem farcical. It's called reductio ad absurdum and is a cheap tactic used by politicians and climate debaters.
              That's not reductio ad absurdum.

**Edit**
              For clarity - you're describing a straw man.
              Reductio ad absurdum is a perfectly legitimate logical argument to make. A straw man is a logical fallacy.
              Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 3 February 2014, 14:28. Reason: for clarity

Comment

So do you think it is appropriate to punish a child for being given the wrong lunch by its parents?

And if so, can you think of better punishments than the one meted out?
                Sadly, the child ends up taking some responsibility for the actions of the parents.

When I (infrequently) make lunch for my kids, I ask them what they want in their packed lunches, and they tell me. If the school asked me not to include mini cheddars, I would be sure not to include them. If the school asked me not to include chocolate (which I don't anyway), then I would be sure not to include it. If the school asked my kids not to bring them again, then they would ask me not to send something into school which is going to get them "done".

If the school has asked the parents not to do something (in line with the school policy), then to keep doing it and expect that you can go bleating to the Daily Mail about how unfair life is doesn't sit well with me.

You obviously think it's appropriate that when parents deliberately ignore the school rules, that's OK - that's a perfectly valid opinion to have, but it's one that I disagree with you on.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  That's not reductio ad absurdum.

**Edit**
                  For clarity - you're describing a straw man.
                  Reductio ad absurdum is a perfectly legitimate logical argument to make. A straw man is a logical fallacy.
                  Oops, brain fart. Normal procedure in General is just to throw any of these terms into an argument at irregular intervals, regardless of what they mean though
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Oops, brain fart. Normal procedure in General is just to throw any of these terms into an argument at irregular intervals, regardless of what they mean though
                    I've done that before - 'absurdum' makes it seem like that's the fallacy. I realised quite a while later.

Comment

Working...
                    X