• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Misuse of technical terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misuse of technical terms

I don't know about you but when I'm dealing with a technical term, I have an image in my mind's eye of what that thing is. When something doesn't conform to that mental picture I get confused. And, when a term has been used inappropriately, annoyed.

One common word that is misused in IT circles is template. A template is a framework or blueprint that details a common structure. It may be a template for a web page, a word document or perhaps a code class. Whatever. Any resource based on a template will exhibit the common structure defined in that template.

So imagine my confusion when Im trying to get some very poorly documented CMS to work and it refers to a template in the wizard used to configure a content block. So, I'm thinking I've used no template here- its all Created from scratch so I left the field blank.

Guess what? It didn't work. Hours later I find out that the "template" is the base URL of the site. How the hell is that a template? What a stupid term to use for such a thing.

Don't even get me started on roles...

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Okay
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

What about a bacon role ??
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

RFC 6570 - URI Template

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          What about a bacon role ??
          Oh ... yeah go on then, thanks.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            In a pure sense ok, but not in this context. Why not just call it Base URL?

Comment

In a pure sense ok, but not in this context. Why not just call it Base URL?
              Agreed. Nobody calls my town-name a template for my home address.

Or perhaps they should?

Comment

I don't know about you but when I'm dealing with a technical term, I have an image in my mind's eye of what that thing is. When something doesn't conform to that mental picture I get confused. And, when a term has been used inappropriately, annoyed.

One common word that is misused in IT circles is template
                A circle is a simple shape of Euclidean geometry that is the set of all points in a plane that are at a given distance from a given point, the centre
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Agreed. Nobody calls my town-name a template for my home address.

Or perhaps they should?
                  Yes , quite.

Well said DS

Comment

I find staying away from tulipe CMS's helps me.

Comment

Working...
                    X