• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Michael Gove to double spending per pupil in state schools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Gove to double spending per pupil in state schools

BBC News - Gove calls for state schools to be more like private

Oh wait, that isn't part of the plan at all, he just wants them all to open an extra 2-3 hours a day for free.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Oh wait, that isn't part of the plan at all, he just wants them all to open an extra 2-3 hours a day for free.
    You would think that if there was any government that understood the benefits of spending thousands per pupil each year, it would be this one.

Instead, the idea is to have schools open longer each day, and more testing for children. As if there isn't enough.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

You mean get teachers to work a proper working day? Perish the thought that any public sector worker should work beyond 10..am - 4.00 pm
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        You mean get teachers to work a proper working day? Perish the thought that any public sector worker should work beyond 10..am - 4.00 pm
        I've worked in a lot of schools and education establishments and, in my experience, the teachers tend to work at least 8am - 4pm on-site, if not longer. Given that they have the kids from at least 9am - 3pm, this doesn't leave many formal working hours for all the planning and marking they're meant to do on top.

I have my fair share of issues with the teaching establishment, but lack of work isn't one of them and I suspect that many others would change their mind if they spent more time working within education.

Comment

My son's school is open from 8:30 to 3:30 and the teachers do a couple of hours on top of that with clubs and stuff. Never mind marking etc.

But don't let facts cloud your lack of judgement.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            I've worked in a lot of schools and education establishments and, in my experience, the teachers tend to work at least 8am - 4pm on-site, if not longer. Given that they have the kids from at least 9am - 3pm, this doesn't leave many formal working hours for all the planning and marking they're meant to do on top.

I have my fair share of issues with the teaching establishment, but lack of work isn't one of them and I suspect that many others would change their mind if they spent more time working within education.
            So why are independent schools so much better than state schools?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I don't know. Funding, less government interference, more freedom to teach? You'd probably need an expert to answer that.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I don't know. Funding, less government interference, more freedom to teach? You'd probably need an expert to answer that.
                Ability to pay better teachers because they are out of the pay scale? Likelihood that parents who are paying for their children's education are pushier so care about their education? Likelihood that the parents who can afford to pay for private school are successful, and therefore more likely to have naturally more intelligent children?

There are many, many more important factors in getting good exam results than the amount of time a school stays open.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  Ability to pay better teachers because they are out of the pay scale? Likelihood that parents who are paying for their children's education are pushier so care about their education? Likelihood that the parents who can afford to pay for private school are successful, and therefore more likely to have naturally more intelligent children?

There are many, many more important factors in getting good exam results than the amount of time a school stays open.
                  There you have it. Parental choice and free market pay scales

Comment

3 good solid reasons:

1) Lower classes sizes. Can range from 18-22 per class. State schools sometimes have 33-34 in them. If you have a 1 hour lesson with 33 kids you cannot even spend 2 mins with each one. Some are going to get nothing out of it. Especially if they are smart but just happen to be slow learners.

2) Resources. 1 computer between 2 max in private, in state its more like 1 between 4. Some state schools have swimming pools and nice playgrounds. Most do not. Yet with private it's the other way around of course.

3) Filtering.If your summer born, forget it. They like winter born kids as then they can have 9 months development head start on the others. Not forgetting the assessments. Oh yes even though you pay you must still be assessed if your child is good enough. Get past all that, then you have to maintain it. Otherwise they ask you after some warnings to leave. Yes they can kick your kids out. You see they do not want anyone unless they are good already. They want the easy kids and anyone will tell you, its easy to get the best from the best no?

Also the reason the religious schools within state sector are better is also 2). You do realise that there is an expectation within good state schools to bung em a few extra hundred each term right? You did not know that?

Think when one school is having a school fete to raise money for a new roof and the other already has the new roof and is having their fete for a set of new computers, then you know which one is really ahead. Few hundred here and there can make all the difference.

BTW:
                    All this has been known since the 60's, it's nothing new.

Comment

Working...
                    X