• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take My Breath Away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take My Breath Away

My wife has somehow convinced me to spend money and lose two days billable in order to take her to Berlin for a long weekend for her birthday.

Neither of us have ever been to Berlin before so looking for any suggestions people may have.

We've got the hotel (Steigenberger, apparently near Kurfürsten-damm station - but I'm guessing transport is fine in Berlin).
    So far she's suggested a jazz bar for the Friday evening we arrive, I've booked dinner for the Saturday night (Fischers Fritz) and she's booked some show for the Sunday night (apparently some dance show, sold to me with the promise of scantily clad wimmin).
    While I know there is the general walkabout, see the remains of the wall type of thing, has anyone got suggestions of must see/do attractions, must eat restaurants or anything else we shouldn't miss while there?

Sony Centre on Potsdammer Platz, the Soviet war memorial at Treptower Park, and for eats Des Schwartzes Cafe and Zweibelfisch!

Can I come?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Sony Centre on Potsdammer Platz, the Soviet war memorial at Treptower Park, and for eats Des Schwartzes Cafe and Zweibelfisch!

Can I come?
      Thanks - I'll take a look.

And of course you can come. We've given Simmons the weekend off and were wondering who would carry the bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        Thanks - I'll take a look.

And of course you can come. We've given Simmons the weekend off and were wondering who would carry the bags.
        I AM Simmons and I'm looking for a new Gentleman so carry your own bags.

Paul Burrell is looking for a toadying roles outside of IR35, he's looking to be a Rock so absolutely no direction and control please.

Comment

I went to Berlin a few years ago as part of a role that I was working on. They were having a fairly big team meting and arranged a walking tour of the city. I have no idea how much the guide cost, but it was pretty good having some bloke take you round and telling you the history.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            I went to Berlin a few years ago as part of a role that I was working on. They were having a fairly big team meting and arranged a walking tour of the city. I have no idea how much the guide cost, but it was pretty good having some bloke take you round and telling you the history.
            Sounds pretty interesting.
            Did you all have to keep in step?
            Did you all keep quiet, or did he have ways of making you talk?
            Were you allowed to enquire about what you saw, or was it only he that would ask the questions?

Ah, casual, historical racism. Don't mention the war.

Comment

Checkpoint Charlie
              Holocaust memorial
              Fernsehturm, possibly a meal at the top
              Reichstag

Will see what else I can remember.

Comment

Brandenburger Tor, Siegersaulle, even the main railway station is worth a visit!

Palast der Republik is gone though now, but the Berliner Dom is close by.

The GDR museum too is worth a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  The GDR museum too is worth a visit.
                  Well, it shows the kind of comfort that DDR citizens didn't live in,

the full range of fine motorcars that weren't available to most of them;

the selection of delicious foodstuffs that weren't on the shelves in East German shops

and the money they could spend in a hopeless bid to buy this stuff;

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Checkpoint Charlie
                    Holocaust memorial
                    Fernsehturm, possibly a meal at the top
                    Reichstag

Will see what else I can remember.
                    Weren't you permanently p!ssed throughout that contract?
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X