• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesco Ready Meals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesco Ready Meals

Ok, they're not healthy - even if they profess to be good for you. All those preservatives, flavourings, e numbers etc...

But my little woodland retreat is only equipped with a microwave so I do occasionally buy them when I can't face yet another jacquette potato.

Now, although I'm not a veggie, I don't eat any ready meals ,or similar, that contain meat. It's 100% an animal welfare thing and you can bet your bottom dollar that the meat in those microwave meals is factory farmed.

So, I was in Tesco the other night and, out of innerest, I looked at the label on a chicken karma ready meal.

The label stated words to the effect that the product contains chicken pieces from Thailand and various EU countries?

Now, I'm guessing welfare standards in Thailand are pretty lacking but , even if that doesn't concern you, just the thought of chicken pieces from Thailand and various EU countries... It's like they're serving up the scrapings from the floors of all these far flung processing plants - Eeurghh...

For the record, if I eat something containing chicken I'd like to think that the meat, or at least most of it, came from the same bird.

"jacquette"? Really?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

" chicken pieces from Thailand and various EU countries"
      I think they are refering to
      Mechanically separated meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        Ok, they're not healthy - even if they profess to be good for you. All those preservatives, flavourings, e numbers etc...
        Is that another opinion or are you agreeing with the healthy goody-goodies' findings now?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The chicken jalfrezi is actually not bad.

I didn't ask the chicken where it came from though.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            The chicken jalfrezi is actually not bad.

I didn't ask the chicken where it came from though.
            Ready meals have moved on a LOT in the last decade or so. Many are quite pleasant, especially the more expensive ones - advances in food science and the customer's desire for "prepared meals" rather than "ready meals" i.e. something that's proper food you didn't cook rather than just cheap TV dinner stuff.
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              " chicken pieces from Thailand and various EU countries"
              I think they are refering to
              Mechanically separated meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH
              or Geographically separated meat?
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Ready meals have moved on a LOT in the last decade or so. Many are quite pleasant, especially the more expensive ones - advances in food science and the customer's desire for "prepared meals" rather than "ready meals" i.e. something that's proper food you didn't cook rather than just cheap TV dinner stuff.
                Yep - I picked up some stuff in the Tesco Finest range the other day and, to be honest, it was as enjoyable as most things I'd cook from scratch. It was an oven meal rather than microwave, though - not that it's any healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Plus the infrastructure. If it was made in a factory the day before and kept refrigerated, there's no reason to think it won't be as good as food you'd make yourself and reheat, or even a takeaway. The image of "ready meals" is that they're weeks old and full of processed crap to make them pass food safety tests.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    I looked at the label on a chicken karma ready meal.
                    Is that one which comes back to bite you if you aren't nice to other people?
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X