• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn Crap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn Crap

Getting invites from people like this <snip> and others into networking what's all that about then?

And some dood called Scott Moreton and his innovative new group for UK contractors, that's everywhere, what's the point of it all?

Who can get the most connections?
    Last edited by administrator; 28 July 2014, 09:36. Reason: Name removed.

To be honest I think LinkedIn is the way forwards and can see it replacing a lot of the older way of doing things (Jobserve etc.).

I have had a lot of genuine roles being offered to me through it and it is a great way to notify everybody at once that you are coming available.

At the very least it's another avenue for marketing your skills so why complain?

Comment

It's the networkers - not sure what it all means, this guy has 13,000 connections but so what?

I agree it's the way forward but I'm not sure what value connecting to thousands of random people is.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        It's the networkers - not sure what it all means, this guy has 13,000 connections but so what?

I agree it's the way forward but I'm not sure what value connecting to thousands of random people is.
        Because LinkedIn works on this 1st Connection, 2nd Connection, 3rd Connection type concept I think the perceived value is in you being viewable to more people. For example, if you click on a 3rd Tier connection, you won't see their full name or info, but you will for a 2nd (I think).

Comment

A few agents have actually attached my recommendations to my CV which is likely to have helped me in getting the interview. I think that a lot of different aspects of LinkedIn are coming into play. Having connections for the sake of connections is probably not useful, but relevant connections - the more the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            A few agents have actually attached my recommendations to my CV which is likely to have helped me in getting the interview. I think that a lot of different aspects of LinkedIn are coming into play. Having connections for the sake of connections is probably not useful, but relevant connections - the more the merrier.
            Yeah, I'm asking people to drop me recommendations on LinkedIn because they seem to bee viewed near enough as well as references. They're personal and have a name attached so you can actually view what relationship the person had with them and so on.

Comment

And some dood called Scott Moreton and his innovative new group for UK contractors, that's everywhere, what's the point of it all?
              Is there anyone on here not linked to Scott?

I think his group is quite innovative actually - it's got loads of questions just like in the professional forums but, because it's got real names for the respondees, there's never any accusations of bedwetting or suggestions that the situation could be remedied by growing a pair.

Comment

As said I think LinkedIn is the way forward, I will accept an invite from anyone, usually pimps but it does work because you get a wider presence and now get approached for more contracts through LinkedIn than anyother source, I do tend to avoid the LION's (LinkedIn Open Networks) who basically accept an invite from everyone, and try to connect with as many people as possible to again spread their area of reach, but to be honest it usually just fills up my timeline with crap from these people only
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Yeah, I'm asking people to drop me recommendations on LinkedIn because they seem to bee viewed near enough as well as references. They're personal and have a name attached so you can actually view what relationship the person had with them and so on.
                  I'd be careful as people are always on the look out for back scratchers when it comes to recommendations, so if they recommend you and you've recommended them they'll just dismiss it that recommendation.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    As said I think LinkedIn is the way forward, I will accept an invite from anyone, usually pimps but it does work because you get a wider presence and now get approached for more contracts through LinkedIn than anyother source, I do tend to avoid the LION's (LinkedIn Open Networks) who basically accept an invite from everyone, and try to connect with as many people as possible to again spread their area of reach, but to be honest it usually just fills up my timeline with crap from these people only
                    I agree, I've had a lot more legitimate offers of work from LI for the past few months that from other means.

What annoys me is that the majority of groups on LI are utter tulip
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X