• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registered Address/virtual business address/working away from home...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered Address/virtual business address/working away from home...

Advise needed please on way forward -

My limited company is registered to my home adress but my office address is registered elsewhere (virtual office) - but I am currently working away from home (live and rent extra accomadation - room in a house - paid monthly).

Question is : Can the extra accomadation count as an expense on the company's books and how will the mileage etc. count - will it be from home (registered address), office address or rented accomdation?

Excuse my ignorance but would need your help and clarity.
    Last edited by mrcheeks147; 4 February 2014, 14:00.

What did your accountant say?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      What did your accountant say?
      nothing much - hence the question on the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by mrcheeks147 View Post
        Question is : Can the extra accomadation count as an expense on the company's books
        Yes

and how will the mileage etc. count - will it be from home (registered address), office address or rented accomdation?
        I'd claim the actual mileage that you do.

nothing much - hence the question on the forum!
        Fire your accountant and get a better one.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          Yes

I'd claim the actual mileage that you do.

Fire your accountant and get a better one.
          Many thanks...

Comment

Many thanks...
            For future reference a company's registered office doesn't have to equal their trading address. For small businesses this often a director's home address but can be a random industrial unit.

So if you ever get ripped off by a company find out where the directors live.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think the usual rule of thumb is claim milage from your home address to your place of work, minus the distance from your home to office if different
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I think the usual rule of thumb is claim milage from your home address to your place of work, minus the distance from your home to office if different
                Wah'? Since when!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  When I was permie, we were told that it was the shorter of distance to client from home OR distance to client from office.

That was before HMRC had the classification of being a "home worker" or "mobile worker" or whatever the exact definition is, though.
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Where would you define your "permanent place of work" to be - the company registered office, or the company office? I would guess it's the company registered office, ie. your home.

Does the virtual office have all the necessary equipment that you need to do your job? Probably not, since it's just a virtual office.

Therefore, I would argue that you work from home because you need to be there for the fulfilment of your duties, not just because it is more convenient to work from home rather than working elsewhere.

I would therefore claim for any journeys between home and any client site, since you are travelling from a location where you need to be to do the work (home office) to another temporary location. If you were already at the virtual office, then I would claim any travel from the virtual office to any client site. You should NOT claim for any travel between home and the virtual office.

My thinking on all this is how I interpret the guidance in Chapter 3 of HMRC document 490 (Employee travel
                    A tax and NICs guide for employers) - specifically section 3.28.

IANAA

Comment

Working...
                    X